Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

8 months reduced supply

ive just been googleing bf at 8 and a half months and there are lots of women on there stating they still give lots of bfs over 24 hours. i let my lo decide when to drop and he's on 3 bf a day and 3 good meals. i worried he wasnt getting enough fluid so, while he has a cup with meals, for the long spell between 10am-7pm that he doesnt have a bf, he also has a bottle of water in the afternoon that i offer at intervals. he takes about 5oz a day of water sometimes more.

some of the accounts say its important to not over do water so he still gets his pint of breast milk, i can feel my supply has gone right down - do you think i shouldnt offer so much water? I find it hard to believe he has a pint of milk. Hope i havent cut down my supply prematurely as i wanted to give him it to a year or even beyond. he did choose to cut his feeds down but there have been times hes grizzled and ive taken him for a walk instead of possibly giving a comfort feed (a lot of the info is about the importance of feeding for comfort as well as for food to keep supply up) i did try and comfort feed him on a few occasions and he pulled off, although gave up quickly and resigned ourselves to 3 bfs a day, giving a snack and water where he seems agitated.

im going back to work next week and i suppose ive been glad of him cutting down as i hope to keep up.x