Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Public breastfeeding... I'm new to this and struggling :(

Breastfeeding in public... what a nightmare any advice? x

Replies

• Just seen a link on here to I think it was babi-mam for a cover look much better than the apron things, have google for it.

• Wear vest tops under looser tops so you can pull one down and one up to feed. I personally found covers too much of a faff! Go to a group with other people who are breastfeeding to get your confidence up. Try and pretend no one else is there, people probably won't even notice what you're doing, and if they do it's illegal for them to ask you to stop.

I was terrified at first but if you worry about it you'll never leave the house! I've never had any problems with anyone, and have fed everywhere, cafe's, libraries, park benches, trains!

Good luck!

• hi lalabobo

i sympathise, it feels such a strange thing to get your breast out in public to begin with - i have to say i found staying home easier (or my mums, friends, families houses) just until he was good at attaching. you cant do it subtley for the first couple of weeks and you're exhausted anyway.

the first time i bf in public was at a pn group - with lots of other mummies doing the same - it felt lovely and gave me confidence. Then when i ventured further i made sure i was always with someone who would give good support (my very protective oh was ready with a mouthful for anyone who even looked at me the wrong way, lol!)

as tigerlilly says though, once it's off the ground, people usually just think your baby is sleeping against you - hardly anyone notices. and as i got stronger about doing it i began to realise being confident is really the only choice - if a baby needs feeding, he needs feeding, and as his mum you're only doing what's best for him - he has a right to eat. I had a good widgey bf pillow as my boy started at 8lb 13oz and got bigger, so it took away the stress of supporting him when he was trying to latch. i too couldnt get on with covers or slings as just felt they got in the way and made it more stressful.

you show far more in a low cut top than when bf, all they can see is the baby's head once they are on. but personally id steer clear of public places until lo gets the hang of it if you feel nervous.

most people who look and notice, look away quickly as no one means to gawp.

be proud of the wonderful thing you're doing and never feel you and your LO don't have the right. your lo will feed so much in the end you will have to conquer your fears or you'll never go anywhere but, that said, take things in your stride, go to family friendly places and places where other mums and babies are to start with. it can seem like you're the only mummy doing it as for every mum bf in public there seem to be hundreds giving the baby a bottle - but remeber that there have probably been lots of women bf in public where you've been in the past, you probably just thought they were cuddleing their babies,

sorry if this is jumbled, good luck! x

• I fed my baby anywhere she needed to and luckily have only had positive reactions. A few times people have come up to me and told me what a wonderful thing i was doing! Tbh that was just as un nerving as people staring!

I always wore tops you could pull down and draped a scarf over my shoulder so that it went round my neck and just graced over me and babys nose. The scarf was light and breathable and kept me covered whilst i got my top pulled down and got her attached.

• I have a Bebe au Lait cover that I have been using since my son was a couple of weeks old and am still using now he's 10 months.  Can't fault it at all. It's been my saviour for out and about.  The wee man gets excited when he sees it cos he knows he's gonna get some boobie!

Try Ebay for a cheap one.

xx

• With my first i was petrified and had couple of incidence with oh friends. One got up and left when i started feeding with most of a hot cuppa left. Also at our local cricket club i cleared the Room! I was upset at the time, but by time i had second i found it so funny. I would warn them all. Some cleared our and others found my humor funny. Luckily not had many comments in public. My second son got fed anywhere. I gave a few hard stares but that was all. It is hard and confidence comes with practice. Use a shawl or scarf if you prefer. But you are doing an amazing thing. You shouldn't be embarrassed. Others certainly Will be. Its so funny! image
  • I found that using a cover, especially in the early weeks when it could take a little while to get bubs to latch, was a lifesaver for my dignity! I think some are much better than others as the ones that are literally an apron or a cover that you just drape across you I found were more trouble than they were worth. The bebe au lait and baby bubu ones are much better as they have a loop around the neck that makes it stand away from your body so you can look straight down and see what baby is doing without rocking exposing your boob.
  • can you take a peek at www.babi-mam.com any feedback on whether you would find ether of these useful would be great, I am currently at the stage of approaching some retailers and would like to produce some real comments about the products by real breastfeeders, positive or negative all is helpful x