Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Dummies???

Hi I am new to bf, my LO is 3 weeks old and he struggles to latch on at times ( I think my milk comes out too fast) during the night he is great going 3-4 hours inbetween feeds but during the day is different, I have two other children (both at school) and finding him being attached to me all day a bit much to take. would it be wrong to give him a dummy and do you think it would confuse him?? He just seems to want held all the time (which I would love to do) but its just not practical.

Replies

• My little girl was the same but even though I tried every dummy Boots sold she would not take one! I have a little boy at nursery too so I bought a sling. I can carry her around, feed her and still have my hands free to make lunch, play etc.

Some babys just need lots of cuddles and reassurance there only tiny for such a short time so I would say enjoy it while you can, put your feet up and snuggle in

• hi jennifer, My lo is 9 months and was exactly the same, soon established going 3-4 hours in the night but the days could often be hourly. If i fed him every hour sometimes by the afternoon he would go a whole three hours, then back to hourly again. It went on like that for months but as he was my only child and i was getting sleep at night i didnt mind too much! Can't imagine how hard it must be with 2 children to think about too though.

The HV would say that all this stimulation is important for milk supply - at 3 weeks, that's still being established, and giving your baby a dummy could intefere with that as well as stop her getting all she needs. However, i know it must be really hard so maybe getting one without relying on it too much (only when you absolutely have to) might be the best decision.

I think the sling sounds a better idea though, if your bubba wants closeness, leaving your hands free, you dont say how old yout older two are but maybe you could have a discussion with them about how important it is the baby feeds and make them part of things. Also maybe have some nice skin to skin time with your baby while they are at school and a cheeky snooze yourself (lol) just to give your calm and reassure your LO.

I know at 3 weeks it feels like a long dark tunnel, constant feeding that will never be over, and if you've bottle fed before it can be very tempting to go over to bottle feeding again as you know he will take a bottle and sleep! However, once bf is off the ground its the most beautiful, bonding experience and you wont ever want it to be over once you get to the easier bit. You are doing a fantastic job x

• Thanks girls, well i put the dummy in the bin and bought my sling, today was fantastic, after it taking me a while to let go of the sling (thought he might fall out lol) i managed to get all my house work done and my shopping put away, those things are amazing. image 

xxx

• Hi Jennifer can I ask what sling you bought? I have looked at quite a few on the internet and can't decide which one is suitable.  We have one for taking LO out and about but am looking for something a bit more lightweight which is easy to attach on my own (I find this one a bit difficult unless hubby is about to lend a hand) and will enable me to get a few things done around the house like you,ve mentioned.

• http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CELEB-BABY-SLING-CARRIER-0-3-yrs-TRAVEL-BREASTFEEDING-/370414781612?pt=UK_Baby_Carriers&hash=item563e7104ac

hey hope this helps this sling has saved me lol no need to fuss about with straps etc it is really easy to use xx