Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Sterilising breast pump

Hi Ladies, I am using a TT manual breast pump and in the instructions it says to wash in hot soapy water. Nowhere does it mention steirlising. Is this right? Also if I did have to sterilise it I'm not sure how I would do it as think its too large for my sterilising unit.

Thanks so much xx

Replies

• Anything that has milk in it should be sterilised until your baby is 1, as milk residue is a fantastic breeding ground for bacteria. Do all the parts not come apart so you can fit it in? I used to pump once a day after morning feed then sterilise. It is a bit of a pain, as I rarely used bottles, I pumped to freeze so i had a back up in case i wanted to go out, so i was only ever sterilising my pump half the time!

xxx

• hi, yes you definately need to sterilise after washing in hot soapy water. a plastic container and a milton tablet would be just as good as any other steriliser.

my lo is ten months and i have to say i dont always sterilise now - im back at work and sometimes i dont have the time. I bf him with a nipple shield and i always sterilse these but i have been known to give bottles/cups/pump a hot wash and he's always been ok. at the tiny newborn stage though i was very strict as i knew how devastating a bug would be. If you have used it unsterilsed though i wouldnt stress too much, they dont sterilse at all in america and the rates of bugs are not much higher! but i would do it from now on x