Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breast to bottle

I am about to wean my 11 month old from the breast to formula so I can have a bit more ( some/any) freedom. I keep hearing that Aptamil is best as it is the closest to breast milk....any advice or thoughts from some of you mums who use formula or have done the same...? Thanks

Replies

• I'm in the same position, but think i'm just gonna wait another couple of weeks til he's 1 so he doesn't have to have formula.

• I was thinking that. So they don't need milk at all after 12 months? Can you give them fresh cows milk then just for comfort say at night?
  • Check with your HV, but i'm sure they can have whole cows milk when they are 1, and should be having a pint a day. xxx

• Formula is best trialled as different children will respond differently to each, some will struggle with Cow & Gate whilst others love it, some will not like SMA whilst others can't get enough, find what's best for you.

Samantha always loved SMA but Hannah hasn't taken to formula at all so is still having odd BFs & cows milk top ups.

Cows milk can be offered as part of food from 6mths & as drink from 11-12mths (check with HV) once their digestive system is more mature to receive it (by 1yr they should be eating & drinking the same as us).  Full fat is recommended as it contains more nutrients than skimmed/semi-skimmed.  Again the amount should be checked with HV but aim for roughly 300-500mls per day topping up with dairy foods such as yogurt, cheese, fromage frais & pasta sauces.