Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Will we be ok??

My little girl is one at the end of the month and has been ebf. We struggled a bit in the beginning but she is thriving now and still LOVES her bf's

We co sleep so she will normally have a feed once through the night, although this is normally a few reassuring sucks rather than needing milk. Then early morning snuggles and a feed, then if we are in the house and she is tired I will more often than not feed her to her mid morning snooze. Same sometimes happens on an afternoon. Then she normally wants a feed about 6ish after tea then a feed and snuggle to go to bed with.  If we are out and about it is rare she will ask for a feed and will snooze in the buggy or the car.

She eats everything offered to her and has breakfast, lunch and a pudding and tea and a pudding with snacks as and when.

Im going back to work this week, for three days a week. She will be looked after by my Mam who see adores (practically the only other person she is happy with!) and I will still be able to BF in the morning before breakfast then I will be picking her up again about 5pmish.

Starting to really panic that we will miss each other too much! I know im at fault for taking the easy way out and feeding her when we are at home but she loves it so much i cant refuse - it cant be for the milk in a hungry sense as she is getting more than enough food.

I had give myself the target of 12 months but Iv no idea how to wean her off.  Its not something im desperate to do but im the only one who can put her to bed at the minute and selfishly I wouldnt mind a night outimage

Im hoping as she will go without on the days im at work she wont ask for it when im with her.... then we can work on the morning and night. She doesnt seem to mind cows milk but only has a small bit.

Any ideas??

Replies

• Going back to work might be just the thing to start weaning her off the bf. She seems to comfort feed rather than needing it so won't want it if you are not there. See how things go for a couple of weeks, then try to stop the tea time feed. Swap it for a cuddle and a story, something like that so she still gets mummy time but not bf. Then try to drop another feed. Can your oh do the night time routine. If your lo has had special mummy time at tea time, she might be easier on night time with someone else. It is all about reassuring both of you that you will stil get special time together without bf.

I would also start planning to get her into her own bed. All mine have gone into their own big bed once they started walking. We bought special bedding for them and turned it into a big special event. They stopped waking up once in their special bed.

You can keep dropping feeds one at a time until you stop bf completely or keep one or two of the feeds for as long as you both feel comfortable. image