Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breast to bottle please help.

Breast to bottle help please !!! Posted: Today at 09:57 Hi Guys, I'm new to this so please be gentle. I'm not to sure If I'm on the right forum but here goes. My son is 26weeks on Tuesday, I have breasted solely from day one. For the past 4weeks I have been weaning him, which has been going great and he has 3 solid meals a day plus breastmilk morning, night and whenever he wants it during the day. The problem starts now, I NEED to get him on a bottle.. We have been trying for 3 weeks everyday, whenever he is hungry. At first it was a no go, but then 2 weeks ago he took one. Then the next day he had 3 full bottles 7oz, his dad even gave him a feed which was brilliant. Then his teeth started hurting him (he already has his bottom 2). And he wouldn't take a bottle at all. I decided to give it a miss for a day, till he was feeling better. So we started again 1 week ago, he wouldn't take it at all at the start then yesterday he took one in the morning and the day before he took 2. I don't think it's because he doesn't like the formula or the bottles with him taking it previous times before. But when I tried yesterday afternoon and bed time also this morning he was having none or it. It's a bit hit or miss really. He knows it's coming and fights it ie. tensing up. When he takes it he actually try's pulling it to his mouth so he does seem to like it. I'm really confused to why he will take it sometimes and not others? We are using nuk bottles (this is the 4th brand we have tried) its the only one we have had any luck with. And using aptimil milk ( this is the 2nd brand) he wouldn't even have sma anywhere near him. I want/need to get him to take a bottle for my sanity lol. Also I go back to work soon and I work from 3-8 which is past his tea and bed time so I'm not going to be here to breasteed him. I've also tried breastmilk in a bottle and he won't take that either. Sorry for the babbling on and just suck as to what to do Thanks jaynie x

Replies

• Hi Jaynie, so far you sound like you are doing the right things in trialling the different options (different bottles & formulas suit different child tastes).

If your LO has teeth already you could also try introducing a sippy cup (both my girls coped better with these) in place of bottle.  Other than that the only other suggestion would be to treat it as a feed (sit LO in highchair) when giving milk (if they are cuddled next to you the smell of your milk will be more compelling than the formula & they will seek your BF over the bottle/cup).

• Hi kazziem, thank you for the advice. I have tried a sippy cup also a doidy cup. Which he does take small sips of water from both. More so the sippy cup as he likes to blow bubbles in the doidy cup lol.

I will definitely try the milk feed him with them and also the highchair. The only thing that worries me is most children I know have a bottle for bed. My lo will only fall asleep whilst feeding or been rock while music is been played. We have tried the controlled crying self to sleep, but both me and my husband found it to upsetting and just couldn't do it. ( we've definitely made a rod for our own backs).

Thanks again for the advice.