Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Does feeding in public cause women to stop breastfeeding?

I am about to carry out a research project and am wondering whether women may stop feeding their babies and/or start bottle feeding due to having to go out and about and feed their babies publicly?

www.babi-mam.com

Replies

• Options
    I pump in public
  • Options

I have a 5 month old and we live out in the middle of nowhere so we dont get out too much but when we do we usually try to feed in car when we get there. I do feel rather uncomfortable feeding in public sometimes especialy when i get looks. And i dont know why because usually im not the person who cares what other people think of me, especially when i know im the best thing for my baby. But anyways i dont plan to stop breastfeeding anytime soon because of it. Our goal is to make it to 12 months.

• Options
    I haven't yet had my baby so my opinion may completely change once baby is born. At the moment I have every intention of breast feeding in public, if I'm out and my baby needs food then I will feed it, I don't want my life to be dictated by feeding times and other people's discomfort with me feeding my baby ( in the most natural way ever). Saying that I plan on covering up, especially in places where others are eating as it was be quite disconcerting seeing a boob in full view, personally I think it is unnecessary to be quite that forthright with it! As I say though, my opinion may completely change as I have not yet been subjected to stares off strangers with disapproving looks.
  • Options

I found it v hard with my 2nd baby, but mainly as my older chld was only 2 and therefore doesn't quite understand 'don't run away from Mummy' yet so I found it easier to bottle feed (expressed milk) as its easier and quicker to pop a bottle down to run after a toddler than it is to put your boob away lol image

• Options

I have always been very shy, never got ready in front of others etc so I was worried about bf in public. With my first daughter I fed her until she was 3 but only 1 in public as I was worried people would look at me feeding a toddler. My second daughter is 20 months and does not take no for an answer so I feed her where ever, I don't care now. It is weird as I am very shy about many other things. I have had some odd looks but I don't care. I can see why some women find it hard though. People can be unkind