Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Disgruntled 6 week old... Desperate for help!!

Help!! I have a a toddler that I happily breasted but my nb seems a different kettle of fish. Although I am confident she is latched on okay for a wee one with a tongue tie; I am not sore, she pulls off satisfied when she feeds well and all the other signs... But sometimes she just won't latch on at all and earlier I had to resort to a bottle because she was hungry and in a tiz! I was beside myself having to do this. She seems to be suffering from colic/reflux and come 7pm is inconsolable and I'm pulling my hair out. I'm told that 'some babies are just like that' but I find this hard to believe... Am I naive!?

Replies

• Hi Eleanor, sorry to hear you're going through a rough spell.

Every baby is different & it can take a lot of patience trying to learn & adapt to their own unique needs.  Although LO maybe able to get a good latch, how easy/difficult are they finding this?  Sometimes it can help just to have somebody confirm you are achieving the best position for both of you.

If it is colic that is causing trouble then a drop of Infacol or Colief before each feed should help releive the discomfort.

You are definitely not naive, you know your own children & when something is not right.  Keep talking to your GP/HV about your fears/concerns until you are happy they are resolved.  Babies are people too at the end of the day, they suffer the same as the rest of us.  Best wishes & good luck