Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Help with breast feeding!?

I didn't bf my 1st as she just wouldn't take to it but I'm really trying hard this time. Lexie has been doing really well, have been bf on demand and topping up with formula as had some moments in hospital where she just wouldn't settle/we got disturbed by doctors and nurses and eventually was so sleep deprived they said to top her up as she just wouldn't latch on. Since we got hone she's been feeding lovely, still having the odd top up as she's so hungry but mw says that's not a problem. but now at 5 days old she's just decided she wants to fuss when she latches on. My milks come in now so have been a bit engorged, wonder if that's the problem. Have had to give her formula for last 2 or 3 feeds as she just fusses, latches on then drops off and screams her head off and gets herself worked up. Seriously considering giving up, have been expressing so she can have some from the bottle and also to help with the lumpy rock solid boobs but just wondered if anyone has any advice? She's gone down from 6lb 13oz to 6 lb 6oz really don't want her losing any more image x

Replies

• Hiya not sure i can advise but we had the same problem and unfortunately much to my disappointment we had to give up on bf and go to formula. I had same dilemma about leos weight loss. We tried cupfeeding the formula so he didnt get used to bottles  in a bid to encourage him to the boob but it didnt work for us. We had leo weighed yesterday and he is just over 11 lbs now!! How are you feelin?x

• I developed mastitis as well from trying so much which was so painful. Was never meant to be for us but he never took a proper feed from me unlike you. X

• She had 2 good feeds this morning and has had 2 bottles since. Just feeling so tired n drained it was just easier to give her a bottle, sounds awful I know!  I read that sometimes a fast milk letdown can cause baby to unlatch and that expressing a little beforehand can help. I think that's what it might be as when I feed from one boob the other starts pouring milk lol. Gona try her next feed on the breast and see how it goes. I'm ok feeling better by the day, still on diclofenac but finish my antibiotics today. How ru guys? X

• Hiya , its not as easy as people make it out is it , I would try n express abit before like you suggested , it's hard for them to latch on when you're so full ,you are doing really well for perservering , I found the first few weeks difficult with all 4 of mine but found it the perfect excuse/reason to sit n feed when everyone else looked after me which is exactly what I needed , it's natures way of making us heal ,so pleased I persevered as after about 3 weeks it got so much easier was free, convenient n a lovely way to bond , ended up feeding  all of them for 18 months minimum, hope the midwife can give you some support hun , thinking of you x x x

• Dont feel guilty! I couldnt imagine managing to breast feed now considering how much leo feeds. He would just permanently be latched on. We are really well thanks! As my midwife said to me, its more important to have a happy mum! X  

• She had a few good feeds yest and also expressed almost 2oz. Gona try n stick with bf  in the day (she tends to feed well in the am) and as much as I can express then formula at night even tho it did me no good last night as she would not settle for love nor money! X

• Good luck. Tricky things these babiesimage can't remember what sleep is!x

• Sleeps for wusses lol it's overrated anyway x

• Hi

Evenmum's tip helped us. If they are rock hard they any get on and often the let down shoots at the back if their throat so it frightens them.

We also got told to make sure baby was really hungry for each feed and not comfort sucking. We also had to wake him up each fees to make sure he took a full feed.

This worked wonders because he then fed enough and got the message that when you feed you hae to do a proper feed

He then started to feed longer with longer gaps between and was much more settled into it.

It is hard to get that rhythm and takes atleast 6 weeks to feel fully comfortable with feeding. It is worth it though.

It's so much easier not to have to pack bottles and make them up over night etc when t becomes second nature for them to latch on.

Eventually they get really efficient and will feed only 10 minutes and you will worry they aren't getting enough.image
  • I sacked it in after 2 weeks I'm sad to say. There's no way I can keep up with her she's taking 3 oz formula every 1.5-4 hours!! Glad I stuck it out as long as I could though x