Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby number two

Just wondering if people have similar breastfeeding experiences with their second child or if you've found it easier/harder?

I only managed 2 weeks exclusive breastfeeding with my son and then another month of combination feeding. It wasn't because of discomfort or latching or anything like that, it was simply because of him being such a hungry baby. He was feeding ever hour for 40 minutes at one point. I was exhausted.

So I'm hoping for a less hungry munchkin this time!!

Replies

• i managed a few days with my first but she just wouldn't take to it and midwives gave me no support so I packed it in, expressed for a week or so then put her on formula. With my 2nd she took to it like a dream but constantly wanted feeding sometimes for hours at a time. But I managed it for a couple of weeks and found it was fine juggling it with my eldest but as I had a really bad recovery from my c section I decided to stop after 2 weeks as was on tons if antibiotics and painkillers and worried about passing it on. Otherwise id have carried on for sure I found it a lot easier x

• I fed my 1st for 18 months & really hope I can feed for at least as long with my 2nd (mainly stopped due to starting to ttc for this 1!). It was tiring constantly feeding. To cope with it this time I've got myself in a Moby sling in the hope that I can feed my little boy in the sling so I can be hands free to play with my toddler. Well that's the hope!

• Hi

The feeding every hour is normal. So I'm afraid it will happen again but the good news is it doesn't last.

It's baby bringing in the milk and generating more as he or she grows.

It does settle but can creep in to a lesser extent for growth spurts or in hot weather.

It taKes. 4-6 weeks to settle fully but in the interim the actual feeds become easier and shorter and by that time the gap is bigger.

I think technically bottle fed babies are meant to be fed like this on demand too but I'm not sure and suspect the fact formula is only one consistency and make up means it's seemingly more filling ?

My midwife did tell me a lady shed just seen bottle feeding was really struggling in the heat as the milk isn't watery to start as with breastfeeding. So poor baby took lots of formula to get hydrated but was in agony from all the weight in his belly. image

My advice is get support. Talk to midwife and counsellors before the birth. There's lots you can learn and I've found it helps in those awkward first weeks. Support is vital and I don't know how anyone does it without.

Good luck x
  • Just wanted to update my experience on this. My son is now just over a week old & so far I have been lucky that he has taken to it as well as my daughter. He feeds for a shorter time each feed than my daughter did so hopefully my daughter will continue to tolerate this time.

I think all babies are hungrier than you expect & it can be exhausting. Hope your pregnancy is going well & you're able to feed them as you want to.