Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

need advice and help

hi my little girl is 2 weeks old and after a traumatic start to breast feeding with her not latching on properly so i had blisters and sores on my nipples i had to hire an electric pump out from my local childrens center to give my nipples time to heal. my nipples have healed but was scared of her going near my breasts in case she didnt latch on properly again. i brought nipple shields and finally plucked up the courage to try her on the breast again but she dribbled everywhere, kept falling asleep and just didnt seem right which got me really stressed and tearful. i feel like a failure and i gave it up to just keep expressing but hate it as i feel like i cant go out for more than 3 hours and my boobs were leaking constantly i cant drink either so i just thought that id wean her off breast milk onto formula but after weaning a couple of express for last 3 days mu milk seems to be drying up faster than i anticipated and now feel sad, tearful and gutted that my milk is going. hate giving her formula and i feel like the original bond i had with her the first 2 days has gone. i love the fact my partner can feed her at night and in the day . i just dont know what to do as my emotions are all over the place and i keep changing my mind and i know if my milk drys up its too late and ill have no other choice but to feed her formula. do i try her back on the breast or just give it up to a lost cause and give her formula?

Replies

• Honestly your emotions will be all over the place. I felt horrible with my first because he was constantly hungry and I felt like I wasn't giving him enough. Stress then can effect milk production. The sore nipples is unfortunately part of breastfeeding feeding, second time round it wasn't as bad. You kind of have to persist with it until naturally they toughen up. It takes a couple of weeks but it does get better. It also isn't too late to turn your milk supply around. You need to get her back on and take it as slowly as you need but she will encourage milk supply and you can also do things like massaging to encourage it back. Maybe try half and half? Formula and breastfeeding. It still gives you the closeness but also your partner gets to help with nights. It is hard and you will always judge yourself harsher than anyone else will. Your body has and still is going through something amazing and don't forget you got your daughter to where she is and you will always do what you can for her. Formula has everything she could need and you have tried which some people haven't even done. Good luck and try not to be so hard on yourself. I know how upsetting it can feel but you know what's best for her. Xx