Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Exclusively expressing

Hi ladies, My little girl was born 5 weeks early and is now 17 days old. I am breastfeeding but since day 1 she hasnt opened her mouth wide enough and therefore my nipples are quite sore. She seems to be constantly feeding and I am worried she isnt getting enough milk because she isnt latched properly. I am therefore thinking about exclusively beastfeeding and just wondered if anyone could offer any advice? How often will I need to express? Will my milk supply continue to be good if only expressing? Thanks x

Replies

• Hi hun you will need to express quite often in order to keep milk supply up. I found my milk supply decreased with both when I started expressing as I just didn't have the time to do it as often as I needed to! GL x

• Ah thank you! I know once we go out and about I may struggle but I will just try and do as much as I can. Am I right in thinking you did mixed breast and formula?

I think I may go to breast start group on Fridsy and see if they can help with the latching first as would like Amber to have breast milk a little longer if possible.

How are you? X
  • I did yeah with Caitlin I managed a few days but she just wouldn't latch and theres no support round here so I expressed for a few weeks then stuck her on formula. With Lexie I bf fir 2 weeks she was brilliant but as I was on loads of antibiotics I started doing a few formula feeds n a few expressed feeds then just stuck her on formula. Good on u for trying, the group sounds like a great idea and don't beat urself up if u end up on formula uve given her the best bit n the main thing is u tried. Were all goof ta, I'm ready to think bout baby no3 lol but he's having none of it x

• At the moment there seems to be no filling Amber. I breastfed her and then half an hour later she wanted more so I gave her 35ml that I had expressed and she still wanted more. I have a feeling I am going to have to start topping her up with formula.

Wow that you are thinking of baby number 3 haha. While I was giving birth my OH said 'are we having baby number 2' lol. Didnt go down well at the time but can say we will definitely only be sticking at 2 if we are lucky enough to have another image x
  • Awwww bless her sounds like she's doing really well for a tiddler x