Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

trouble breast feeding

Had a plan to breast feed my baby for a while because breast milk is very import when it comes to your baby i would always forget to eat so wasn't producing enough milk for my baby so at 3 months he stopped completely i was a afraid his little body was unprotected he was capable of catching any illness and didn't have breast milk to fight off the germs he is now 5 months old and my milk has slowed down i don't leak or have any more breast pain i can tell he still wants to breast feed by the way he positions his self in my arms I try to pump milk but its not helping and squeezing takes to long he isso use to formula and the bottle the feel of my nipple upsets him i guess he now has nipple confusion i really don't know what to do i can't protect him from getting sick 

Replies

• MsWinters - although there are antibodies within breastmilk that do fight against illness, it's not the miracle cure for all babies and even being breastfed won't stop them getting poorly. There are plenty of parents who choose to formula feed right from the start and there's no evidence that their babies would be at a lesser risk should they have been breastfed instead. 

I breastfed DD until she was 15 months, and I understand how hard it can be, especially in those early months, but having to switch to formula was the right thing to do for you and your baby. 

Are you OK generally in your mood etc? I'm a bit worried that you seem to have a fear of baby getting ill, and this thinking of breastmilk as the ultimate cure may not be overly healthy for you.

All babies get sick, it's just a way of life. They take on germs and get sick and then their immune system fights it off, it's the way that they build their immunity as they grow, and it's why adults get sick much less than little ones. x

• Apply heat pads and massage the breast. Eat almonds, rolled oats, Brewers yeast and drino lots of water. Good luck. image

• Don't worry about your child illness. There are babies who had formula feeding from the birth itself and are healthy, it is not only the breast-milk that prevents the babies from illness. Formula fed babies also develop immune system but not as much as breast fed babies. There will be a slight difference between them....that's it.

If you want breastfeed your baby then try foods that increase breast-milk supply like oatmeal, fenugreek seeds, garlic, water and juices.