Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Combination feeding once returning to work

Has anyone else moved to combination feeding once they've started back working? Currently Amethyst is breastfed (using nipple shields) with the odd bottle of expressed milk (less than once a week). So far she's had nothing but breastmilk since birth to drink.

Now that she is 6 months I'm finding myself increasingly pressured into introducing formula milk, I was thinking about breastfeeding morning/evening and giving formula during the day. Has anyone else done this and if so was it successful? How did your milk supply cope with the reduced feeds and how did baby react to formula instead of breastmilk?

Replies

• Options

I've no experience but just wanted to say don't feel pressured by anyone into feeding in any particular way. You need to do what is best for you and Ame :-) x

• Options

Hi ladies! Am interested in responses (if any?) as I'm in a similar position to you apart from Molly wont take a bottle! Shes only ever had breastmilk straight from the source lol. I'm not going back to work until shes a year old but not sure how much she'll be feeding then, whether naturally she'll cut down as she's weaned or whether I'll need to introduce formula/cows milk once over a year (hate expressing and never get much off) when I do go back and if so should I start now to get her used to it (will have to be in a cup). Argh, confusing! Are you back at work now? Could you express more and give her that in the day instead? Nothing wrong with giving her formula, and your supply will adjust but its totally up to you, like coco said dont feel pressured by anyone else x

• Options

Hi Purple Star.

I weaned when I returned to work when A was 7 months.

It actually wasn't that difficult....I stopped with the day feeds first and then the AM feed and lastly the night feed. I dropped a feed every five days and my supply adjusted quite well. She took the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Bottle as I was also using the Tommee Tippee nipple shields.

When I stopped night feeding, I had two days of pain but not unbearable and then I was fine!

If your workplace are supportive and you want to keep feeding then there is no reason why you should stop. I hope my advice is helpful if you do chose to wean.

X