Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help!!!

Hi, i am a mother of one week old baby boy. I've experienced difficulties in breastfeeding (i think there was not enough milk plus he wasn't sucking well falling asleep quickly) so I decided to put him on formula milk. First i used SMA but yesterday changed to Aptamil. My concern is that he does not burp after each feed plus he vomits immediately after feed and more when i put him to sleep. I give him amount of milk as it says on the feeding guide on the formula. I was thinking it might be too much for him but if i give less he cries hungry putting his fist into mouth. Now i gave him normal dosage of feed and he looked like he wants more, so i gave him a soother to help him settle. is it normal or shall i seek medical advise? Any help much appreciated :)

Replies

• Options

Hi, he may just have reflux I'd speak to your health visitor they will be able to help or midwife

• Options

Hi kasia first you are doing a wonderful job, ask your midwife/health visitor for Brest feeding support as I'm sure your milk will come through and you will have plenty once breast feeding is established and any latching problems are over come if you are still wanting to breast feed, otherwise mention about the vomiting as your little man might be suffering from reflux and infant gaviscon can be prescribed for that, if the problem is that he isn't able to get his wind up infacol can help with that but you would be best seeking advice from the help around you and they can observe what is happening then decide what the problem is, you are doing everything right at the moment but might just need one of the professionals to hear and see what is going on to offer you a potential solution.  I'm sure whichever problem it is it will easily be resolved, my baby is now 20 weeks and we had real issues with vomiting after feeds, my milk supply wasn't great and his weight gain hasn't been fantastic but I had to breast and bottle feed then he was given gaviscon for the reflux which helped immensely he has never had a big appetite but I eventually feel I'm winning the feeding battle next is weaning for us and we will see how that goes but his reflux will hopefully settle soon after earning begins and the gaviscon will be able to be forgotten xx 

• Options

Thank you 

• Options

Thanks

• Options

Hi kasia 

I have three month old twins. I had a nightmare with formula to begin with they were constantly sick, I started expressing in the hopes that I would be able to breastfeed eventually (they were too little and jaundice to feed at first), this meant it encouraged my milk supply, this is maybe an option for you if you do want to Breastfeed? anyway they never took to breastfeeding so I went on to formula, If you are wanting to stick with formula just keep going with it, try not to worry about the amount stated on the pack this is purely a guide, my babies don't take the amount stated they take less and are putting on weight so try not to worry about that! both of my twins got used to the formula and the sickness calmed down but one of my babies has reflux so we were prescribed gaviscon..does your baby seem upset and uncomfortable before being sick, as may have reflux? With one of my girls I started giving her a dummy as she would continuely seem hungry, I would feed her moreband she would sick it all up so I would give her a dummy and she would settle straight away seems she wanted the comfort rather than the food, if she is actually hungry she would just spit it out! So maybe give the dummy a go maybe he's just looking for comfort? Lots of trial and error you will get there! x

• Options

infacol...go and get infacol

the first weeks my son would throw anything back up because he wouldn't burp. We started the infacol and haven't looked back.

there is nothing you're doing wrong, babies just like to wear all the outfits they were bought and the only way. Is to throw up on them all.

I used to take 3 changes of clothes and sheets up to bed at night and now at 13 weeks we're 0ast it.

you'll get there x

• Options

Bluerani i hope it is not reflux as the doctor said she can't prescribe him gaviscon yet until he's 3 weeks old. I tried dummy and it helped him to settle. Now i give less milk but more often so we'll see if it helps! Thanks for your advise :) 

• Options

Bluerani i hope it is not reflux as the doctor said she can't prescribe him gaviscon yet until he's 3 weeks old. I tried dummy and it helped him to settle. Now i give less milk but more often so we'll see if it helps! Thanks for your advise :) 

• Options

Thanks Katt1906. Can i give it to one week old tho?

• Options

You can give infacol to newborn so get some to see if it helps with that wind X fingers crossed 

• Options

Thanks Caroline

• Options

i hope it's not reflux, both my babies were really sicky as newborns but only one has reflux. Can I just add infacol is amazing we use it for Collic and it works instantly! 

• Options

Hi i agree with  the above advise. i was told dummy not great for breastfeeding but works for me. You can get help with breastfeeding and ur supply. I got  meds which helped also cos baby didnt latch properly we didn't know had tongue tie. It was noted and snipped when he was four weeks some improvement but still has some of the old  technique.

He also has reflux but because I know will outgrow it. I didn't give him  the gaviscon which was prescribed and he is doing well with his milk 

i found that the constant need to suck when he as a week old wasn't because he was hungry but in discomfort from wind and wanted to suck to soothe hence were dummy can be helpful  breastfeeding to soothe.  infacol works great and can  take awhile to notice it's effect and invest early in an anticolic bottle. I used mam first but now using Dr Brown

i also found gripe water useful. its only from a month old but I started using when he was 3 weeks 

he is now taking a special formula which is gentler on his digestive system 

• Options

Thank you

• Options

Hi Kasia. 

Sounds like your getting all the right advice above. And I just want to reassure you that it will get better... Well done you xx

• Options

Thank you for attention to my post.