Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Bottle Feeding

Hi everyone,

Just a quickie....I am pregnant with my first baby and am planning on bottle feeding by choice. I haven't started any antenatal classes yet (start a week today) and I haven't spoken to my midwife about this, but did anyone get any negative comments/vibes from anyone for not wanting to breastfeed? I'm just asking cos the hospital where I'm gonna have babs is really for breastfeeding and I'm scared they're going to make me feel bad!!!

Any comments/advise much appreciated!

Thanks,

Kate xx

Replies

• Hi Kate,

Im pregnant with my first and am going to bottle feed, my midwife is bitch from hell and is really trying hard to put me off bottle feeding, and almost makes me feel guilty for not breast feeding.

Ignore them, its your baby, your body, your choice.
    Sophia x x x
  • Hi kate, I am bottle feeding, although I did plan to breastfeed and wasn't successful. If I am honest, yes you do get negative comments, generally from people who have never had children! To be honest I don't know what the hospital will be like, but you will need to find out whether you need to provide your own formula and bottles, or if they provide them, would it be an option for you to just breastfeed whilst you are in hospital. At the end of the day do what feels right and forget everyone else, no matter what you do for your child someone will always feel the need to tell you what to do, you get used to it after a while!!!!
  • My midwife has never had babies and she is so judgemental, ok so she is qualified but surely nothing can make u more qualified than actually having a baby??
  • Cool, thanks for the replies. It's just so easy to feel that you're a bad mum for choosing to bottle feed. I'll check out about providing own bottles and formula for hospital.
  • No, not at all. My mom bottle fed me, my sister, and brother and she's the best ever!
    Its upto you how you feed your baby, i will only bottle feed to be honest i would not ever consider breast feeding i just dont want to. Dont feel bad though x x x
  • Hi Kate

I start my antenatal classes wk after next. I too am going to bottle feed by choice.

I have a phobia about nipples being touched (always have... very strange I know!) and it makes me feel physically sick if they are.

I tell you, if any midwife tries to tell me what to do she can naff off!!!!

I like you feel guilty for feeling this way, which is wrong. As long as our babies are well fed and looked after and loved we shouldn't be made to feel like bad mother's for not breastfeeding.

Sam x
  • To be honest from what I have heard about this subject, you will get negative comments either way, you cant win sometimes. As sophie said "Ignore them, its your baby, your body, your choice." I think we will all have too much to fuss over when baby is here to add to it worrying what everyone else thinks of us. TC xx Jen xx