Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Heating milk

Hi moms! Let me introduce me, I’m Laura, the proud mom of Ryan, a big handsome boy (4,1 Kg). He’s almost 2 weeks now, and I couldn’t be happier for having him. I wanted to rise what it would sound trivial for most of you, but it is a mystery for me. How do you heat your baby’s milk? And how do you check that it has the perfect temperature for your babies? I know that there are several ways of heating: water-bath using stove, microwave, electric baby-bottle heaters… but what do you use? Why? Is there something healthier (less bacteria or something) than others? And then, how do you check the milk’s temperature? Do you just test it on your hand? Taste it? Use an infrared thermometer? What is it better and why? Thanks in advance. Laura

Replies

• Right what i used to do is get a jug full off hot but not boiling water n put thr bottle or storage bag in that orrrr get a tommiee tippiee bottle warmer they r brill!!! ... then to make sure its the right temp for baby is tip the milk onto ur wrist if its too hot for u then wait for it to cool down or tip the milk on to ur bottom lip. Its like to check if the bath is nice enough for baby u rest ur elbow into the water as its a sensitive place on ur body x 

• You should not use the microwave as this may not heat the milk evenly. Warm the bottle in a bowl of hot water & swirl it periodically. 

To check temperature dab the bottle against the skin either at your wrist or on the inside of your elbow  (the nerves will respond best in these areas), it should feel comfortable to touch.