Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Baby reflux - it got better, but now a new problem - help

hey ladies, looking for some advice. My little girl is 6 weeks old today and since 3 weeks she's has been struggling with most feeds. she will take her milk but then it will take me around 2 hours to settle her. she would cry, writhe around, pull her legs up and you couldn't lay Her down till she was fast asleep or she would cry again. At first we thought colic and wind hv said it was that and it would pass, tried infacol, gripe water the lot nothing worked. at 5 weeks she started to sometime not want a full feed and was sick a few times after her feed or Upto an hour later. i went To docs who said it was either cows milk allergy or Reflux. After looking at all symptoms I think reflux. She prescribed me special milk for the allergy and said try that first if it doesn't work she will prescribe baby gaviscon. I didn't use the milk as  am sure it's reflux. so I bought some cow and gate antic reflux milk, she was like a different baby, feeding and sleeping no fuss. Then a few days later she ststted having hard poos and you could see she was in pain, shes now back to taking ages to settle because she is constantly straining for the toilet. Anyone have an similar experiences? i feel I've cured one problem and created another ;( xx

Replies

• Oh no, poor baby, Shame mommy I understand how you feel.

We tried changing my little girls milk and she was so badly constipated, she would curl herself up and cry hysterically. I was told by my grandmother to give her a little bit of water(either bottle water or boiled water that has cooled) with a tiny bit of brown sugar. I gave her a 180ml bottle of water about the tip of her baby spoon of brown sugar to drink during the day or over 2 days. It helped for her constipation so much. My little girl is now 8months and has a bit of reflux but not too bad. I elevated her( with a pillow) a little when i put her down in her bed when shes asleep as she falls asleep on my chest. Your baby is still so tiny so those little cuddles will make her feel better and it helps keep her tummy level till its a little more settled. I am pretty sure there is actually a pillow for babies with reflux. I've heard from mommies that had tiny babies with reflux that the AR formulas really helped alot, thank goodness tiny babies with reflux tend to grow out of it by 3 months.

good luck mommy. its never easy to see our little angels so uncomfortable.