Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Fussy and crying during feeds

hi

my 10 week old has been a fussy eater pretty much since birth. He would really struggle with wind at first and would end up being sick where the wind was trapped. We started using Infacol which has definitely helped with the burping but now my issue is the crying during the feeds.

when he is hungry he will take the bottle to begin with but when he pushes the bottle out for a break there will be such a loud cry even after a burp he will continue to cry and won't allow the bottle back in his mouth. After quite an episode eventually he will start sucking his hands and then will start to feed again.

does anyone know what the cause of this would be? He clearly doesn't have wind as the feeding can happily continue after a while. It's almost like he  doesnt realise the bottle of milk is right there.

He is tongue tied and having it cut in a few weeks so not sure if this has anything to do with it? It's also only during day feeds, at night I don't get any of this just a feed a burp and back to bed!

does anyone have any idea of what this is all about? The crying is pretty intense and it makes me feel like everyone is judging me when out in public.

i bought colief drops but I'm scared to use them and stop the Infacol in case the trapped wind comes back. Other than these feeding episodes he's a very happy baby.

please help if you have any advice

Replies

• My son was tongue tied too & that caused him to have acid reflux... perhaps the crying your son is doing is caused by reflux too. Look it up & see if the other symptoms sound familiar. Doctor put our baby on a baby form of zantac & that helped a lot. Worth a try!

good luck!

• Thanks sw2 did you have his tongue tie cut?

• Agree coukd be reflux. My 5w old was awful at night crying and being sick. GP prescribed gaviscon for every feed but as I breastfeed was too difficult. I've managed to always get the last feed before bed expressed into a bottle so she gets it and it's made a huge difference. If your bottle feeding it's just a case of adding sachet to bottle so much easier. I'd see your gp. Sounds like your little one is uncomfortable with feeds. Is he gaining weight? Babies with reflux gain slower usually x

• That's a pain in the bum having it as a powder I  bet milliesmummy!!. Ours was in Liquid form & I just had to give it to him a little bit in a syringe twice a day. It was called ranitidine. Which is just another name for what you had I think. 

Rainbowclouds. Yes he has his cut at about 10 weeks old. He did great with it. Cried more because they strapped him down! They give hem a little sugar water to 'zone them out' & then its snipped quick as anything with a tiny blade. Hardly any blood & I fed him after about 20 minutes & it was fine. i noticed an immediate improvement with his suck (breastfeeding). Unfortunately he developed scar tissue which has pretty much put his tongue back the way it was... I was aware of this possibility & so asked the ENT doctor whether there is anything I should do to try & prevent this... he said no.... but it would be worth asking your doctor about that too.

• Thanks for your advice I'll be sure to check side effects with the doctor to know what to expect after the tongue tie is cut.

today has been a much better day. Night feeds were peaceful as normal and day feeds today have been barely any fuss at all I just don't get it