Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breastfeeding v Bottle

Hi, I was recently told by a friend of mine who has just had a baby that when she was in the hospital and asked for a bottle to feed the baby, they turned round to her and called it the "devils milk".

I was astounded when she told me. I couldn't believe that a caring profession could be so heartless.

Obviously I am aware of the advantages of both breastfeeding and bottle, but surely we should be entitled to make up our minds without any predudice? I'm still undecided but it makes me worry that a I aint going to get the support from a midwife if I decided to bottle feed.

Have mothers here made up their minds yet as to whether breastfeed or bottle feed?

Replies

• Well I have not given it much thought to be honest. I guess I intend to give breast a go and hope that it works and refuse point blank to beat myself up about it if I can't do it.

The baby will get fed, loved and cared for either way. Comments that were made to your friend are out of order and are obviously designed to make her feel like an inferior mother. (Which quite frankly is b*ll*cks!)

Tracey
    xx
  • I always thought i would bottle feed, just didnt like the thought of breast feeding, but since i got pregnant and started reading about the benefits etc i really want to breast feed.

But people shouldnt be judged if they want to bottle feed, its a personal choice and often one that the baby makes for its self

I will try to breast feed if it doesnt work out not the end of the world!

Samantha
  • Hi, I've got two boys, one is 17 months and one is 9 weeks. With my first I was unable to breastfeed him so I bottle fed him. I got fed up with people saying I must feel terrible not being able to breastfeed. Not at all and besides my partner used to get up to do the night feed when he wasn't working the next day so I could get some sleep! With my second I am breastfeeding him no problem. You must do whatever suits you and your baby and don't let anyone's predudice stop you. Sara. x
  • I'm planning on giving breastfeeding a go too, and hope it works out okay, but I'm not going to let it stress me out if the baby isn't feeding, I'll go onto bottle.

I have two friends who's babies are 3 months and 6 weeks and both of them have given up the breast feeding and gone onto bottle and they both said don't be pressurised by the midwifes!!

My sister bottle fed 4 kids and they are all fine and healthy, so I suppose it's each to their own

xx
  • I'm going to breast feed but would like to express so that my oh can at least have a bit of a go. My cousin's baby is 7wks and she was handed a bottle by the MW after she had him without a work to her about what she wanted to do. she was so tired and confused after a very long labour she just gave him the bottle and now regrets not at least trying so it's mad isn't it how the same profession can behave so differently.

i agree with the comments here, as long as your baby is fed and you are happy with the way you are feeding then it's your choice.
  • hi,
    i intend to bottle feed my baby. I breast fed my first and hated every second of it, i was exhausted from feeding her solely myself and i felt really isolated from sitting in a room by myself feeding (for privacy, didnt feel comfortable getting my boobs out). I bottle fed my second child and it was great, my oh did quite a few night feeds so i could get some kip and i found formula milk kept the babys hunger at bay for alot longer than breast milk. I didnt have any problems with midwives to be honest regarding my decision and havent this time either. I had the usual "why arent you breast feeding" so i simply told the midwife its my decision how i feed my baby. I hate how some mums are made to feel awful because they arent breast feeding, its up to each individual how they feed no one else and incase anyone was wondering my first was breast fed, my second bottle fed and they are both as healthy as eachother.
    Toni x
  • I have been told by mw at community maternity centre that if I want to bottlefeed then I will need to supply everything myself and I will get no support from the mw's. I can understand having to supply formula & bottles but there is no steriliser on site & no bottle/teat brushes. The same policy goes for pacifiers. This is to protect their "UNICEF Global Baby Friendly Award", which almost forces women to breastfeed, apparently when I get discharged someone from UNICEF will phone me within a year to quiz me on whether I was offered any formula and other breastfeeding related issues. If I answer "yes" to any of their q's the hosp will loose the award.
    I'm going to try to breastfeed but the pressure I feel is enormous. My oh is very supportive and I know he will back me up whatever I decide.
  • I'm planning on giving breastfeeding a go, which is lucky because in Norway (where I am living) apparantly 99% of women breastfeed so think I would be considered a bit of a freak if I didn't! This hasn't swayed my decision in anyway as I always thought I would give it a go but it does make me feel sorry for people who really don't want to. x
  • Hi Pixie_woo .. I think the UNICEF Gloabl Baby Friendly award is a joke, if in order to keep that award they are putting unecessary pressure on mums.

Like others have said on here.. the baby is going to be loved and fed no matter what, why sohouldn't they be bottle fed.

My OH is also supportive, and will help me with what ever I decide. Nice to know friends and family will support us, cos I don't think we will get much from the NHS!.

I want this pregnancy to be extra special as its my first, its a shame there are so many shadows overhanging certain issues.
  • This makes me feel so cross as I went into my first pregnancy wanting to breasfeed more than anything but when it came down to it there was no colostrum or milk there at all and three weeks later there hasn't been anything. I tried and failed to feed my LO and in the end we put her on the bottle as her blood sugar was dangerously low and the only other option I was given was that she went into special baby care and was to be fed by a tube so you can imagine which option we chose. I just find this whole breastfeeding pressure a bit hard to swallow as you are made to feel like a failure if you don't do it and I wanted to but couldn't. My HV is coming on Thursday and I'm dreading it as she is a breastfeeding counsellor. I just think as long as my LO is happy and healthy then that is all that matters to me. :\)
  • It is medically proven that "breast is best" and I truly believe that is right - however, breastfeeding won't be successful unless the mother is happy doing it, and all the pressure put on mums to be means that many women give up too easily - and the people who criticise them don't seem to realise it's people like them who make many women feel uneasy.

I plan to breastfeed this time, and I'm pretty sure it'll go fine as I'm 100% sure it's what I want to do and I plan to give it all I got this time. Very few mothers are incapable of breastfeeding.
  • Can't believe a MV called formula "the devils milk" - that is outrageous!. i had wanted to breastfeed from the start, but suffered an unusual nipple eczema when pregnant, so couldn't get baby to latch on at all as nipples very swollen & covered in a crust - yuk - Mv's were supportive at the hospital & at home. i did sucessfully breast feed , but it was a long & hard slog. if i had decided to bottlefeed, then i would have & wouldn't give 2 hoots as to what anyone else thought. i'm a grown women & mother & won't be told what to do. Rant over xxxx
  • hi. OMG i can't believe that midwife said that!!!!!!
    thats well out of order. we all should beable to choose freely how we want to feed our babies and not be frowned up on what ever the choices we choose.i have breast fed all of mine successsfully the longest for 2 years and the shortest for 5 months then i went on to formula, and i am still feeding my 2 week old son ok. but i may have to convert ot formula one day as it is my 5th baby and i am on th ego all day.
    breast feeding doesn't work for every one, and the way i see it is as long as baby and mum are happy then there shouldn't be a problem how we feed our children- breast or bottle.xxxx
  • I think it is awful for a midwife to make that comment.

Personally I loved breastfeeding my 2 and plan to breastfeed current bump...but I also know that if I had a problem and I was getting stressed and the baby was getting stressed then I would definitely consider a bottle. I fed by 1st for 12 months, but my second only for 6 months as I went back to work full time and really couldnt get in the swing of expressing at work etc!

My sister was so looking forward to breastfeeding and had so many problems and then really bad mastitis that she gave up...and she had absolutely no support from her health visitor or doctor at all.

It is every mums right to make her own decision with regards to breast or bottle and the healthcare professionals that surround individual mums should support them REGARDLESS.

C.x

• DEVIL'S MILK?!?!!!!!! What? I'm packing a frying pan in my bag for when i go in to twat any midwives that dare to speak to me like that. Fuck's sake - it's not battery acid - it's formula.
  • Breast is Best?? Bloody hell - what a profound statement, how come I've never heard that one before?
  • I am planning on breastfeeding - providing it all goes well of course. It is what I really want to do and I'm determined to give it a go and persevere through any initial discomfort. However, I do resent the pressure mum's-to-be are put under to breast feed. At the end of the day it's a personal choice and mothers should get all the support and advice they need whether bottle feeding or breastfeeding. I think it's disgusting a MW made such a derogatory comment - and a frying pan would come in very handy!
  • I bottlefed both my daughters and plan to do the same this time too. I tried to breastfeed my first, but after being manhandled by the mw to get into a good position I said enough was enough and gave her a bottle. When I got home I alternated between bottle & breast for about 2 weeks but it was sooo painful that I opted for the bottle. I know 'breast is best' etc but like other people have said its up to you and your baby - you'll know what is right. Sam xx
  • Hi Sam... is it ok to mix breastmilk with bottle feeds?
  • I expressed to start with, then when I was bottlefeeding all the time, I put her on formula, but I imagine it is ok, if you are planning on doing both double check with your midwife first. Sam xx