Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I could really do with some help/advice please about breastfeeding my 7 week old

Hi mum's I hope your all well. I could really do with some advice or anybodys experience if they have been through the same thing. I am sorry it's lengthy but I thought if I give full details it will help you all know exactly what's going on. 

My baby is nearly 7 weeks old. He is exclusively breastfed. However. He is constantly attached to me and never seems to sleep during the day. 

He will drink for about 45 mins to 1 hour...this includes his fluttering and comfort (I leave him cos I have been told it's the best thing to do for him and my supply).He will fall asleep at the breast.soon as he is moved away he wakes up and seems to want the breast again so I attach him and he seems to comfort rather than drink...again held fall asleep if I'm lucky sometimes hel stay down for up to 15 mins. But that very rarely happens. If I keep a hold of him he will stay asleep for a good while and then wake up for a drink. He looks so tired sometimes. But even then when he's on me n I'm holding him even then sumtyms he won't go to sleep. He stays awake and sits sumtyms in his chair for half hour and sometimes he even falls asleep and then hel start moaning and then il offer him breast. He has always been like this. 

Come evening time.....He will be attached literally from late afternoon until he goes to bed which could be anything between 10pm and 12am....by literally attached i mean he will be off me for 5 mins then fuss and then back on....during this he will have a period where he screams a lot and fusses at the breast. At first I thought milk has ran.out cos he's constantly drinking.then I think no he must have a bad tummy. And he does bring up milk during this time period asleep. So I think he is full.but i don't know.

Come bed time...He will eventually fall asleep and let us put him down and he will sleep for up to 3 hours between feeds. And again in morning it's allow the same thing. 

Am I doing something wrong?how do I know if my breasts are empty or if he's getting enough milk. He seems fine in the night. He will even drink for 10 mins...no comfort feeding or anything during the night. 

Thank u ladies.  Xxxx