Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

bottle feeding

just wondering how many of you are just going to bottle feedas I was going to breast feed but the more I think about it the more im not to keen on it.I tryed with my first and couldnt get the hang of it at all and ended up expressing and breast feeding thenjust formula in a very short space of time.which I am starting to think "is it worth the hasstle"and just bottle feed from day 1.help im running out of time.only 5 week to decide

Replies

• I dont think i will be able to breast feed (im only just over 5wks but thinkin bout things already) the thought really gives me the creeps although i will try i think...i know it should be natural but im not feeling it yet
  • I keep remembering that every time Keeley wanted feed somebody was there or at the door,it woul dmake me even more aware that I couldnt get her to feed properly.be easyer to popinto the kitchen and make a bottle than worry about it.but im i just being a defeatist before I have tryed.
  • hi kat... I've got to say it's always "worth the hassle" if you wanted something that was easy to do then you're doing the wrong thing having a baby! lol :\) I only managed to breastfeed my son for a week as I had a dreadful time in labour & afterwards etc (long story I won't bore you with...! :roll: ), but it doesn't stop me wanting to give it a go this time around. even if you breastfeed for the first few days then they're getting some of your goodness. I might not be able to feed this time too & that's ok because I know I'll have given it a go. Also this time ask visitors to ring before they turn up or just nip upstairs and feed baby or even ask them to just leave the room whilst you feed.. don't be pushed aorund by other people, you do what you want in your own home. I hate it when people just drop in on you when you just want to left alone with yoru new baby!................................................................................... BLUEY.... I don't think it is a natural thing for every woman some people take longer to get used to it too so don't worry about it, just see how it goes! :\) You've got to get through labour yet so don't worry about feeding! lol :\) xxxxxxxxxxx

[Modified by: wenders on April 15, 2007 09:04 PM]
  • Thanks.I had postnatal depression with my first and had a nightmare time.dont want togo through that again,and wonder that if I do try and fail I will blame myself like last time.
  • I too had/have PND.. but after a long chat with my son I got over the guilt of not breastfeeding for longer than a week. You do need to forgive yourself, it's not a reflection on how good of a parent you are... you need to get into your head, if you can't do it then at least you tried, rather than not bothering at all just in case something might happen. BUT at the end of the day it is YOUR decision, if you decide to bottlefeed from day one then make sure you don't get 'bullied' by the midwives.. take care xx :\)
  • I am going to be bottle feeding.

I have a phobia about my nipples being touched, so I know there's no way I can do it!!!

Just worried the cow bag midwives will make me feel guilty and inadequate for not breastfeeding....

• I'm not breastfeeding and I'm getting my fuck off t shirt ready for anyone with an opinion on it. I was planning on giving him dr pepper but thought maybe formula was better although he may have withdrawal when hes first born. Its a personal choice and nothing to do with anyone else - Midwifes will always make us feel inadequate so bollocks to them.
  • i have an idea for you claire.. give him formula. in a dr pepper bottle. maybe that will fool him and he wont get withdrawal symptoms!
  • Are you implying my baby is thick? You cheeky mare, he will smell and spot a bottle of dr pepper a mile off, just like I did whilst watching wife swap last night. Fool him indead?
  • haha.. or.. make a mixture of formula and doctor pepper.. you could call it.. baby pepper
  • My boobs starting leaking a bit yesterday and my sister said taste it - it might be dr pepper fizzing out of you. Nice.
  • I'm not sure i'll be comfortable with breastfeeding, but i'm going to give it a go, so at least i can say i've tried it. My midwife seemed fine when i mentioned that i might not be comfortable with it.There will always be people who have a very strong opinion towards breastfeeding(mothers or not), take no notice, you need to do what is best for you too!my fiance has already said that whatever i decide he will support me and that's all i need is his support, if other people don't like that i may choose to bottlefeed then tough, to put it politley!! it's my body and it's been through a fair bit already!! xx
  • claire. that is quite disgustin. think mine started leakin yesterday. more likely to be sprite. i drank alot of sprite hopin my baby would look like hose cute little things on the adverts!
  • I didn't say I tasted it - now that would be disgusting. Let us know when you have the little critter, I'd quite like one of those little wrinkly creatures, it would be like a smaller version of my husband.
  • lol i want one. they are so cute.. especially the one with its head out the window with the wind blowin thru its hair!
  • THAT IS MY HUSBAND, oh, hang on a minute, no he is bald
  • hahaha. i think its a bit like my dad. he would stick his head out the window to fun the breeze in his thinning hair!
  • i tasted my breast milk , it was really sweet mine will tast of crunchies this time lol
  • not straight out your boob though surely? Mine will taste of dr pepper with a hint of ginisters pasty
  • hahaha my god there are some srange people on here today!