Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

3 month old on newborn teats

my son is 13 weeks old and we use the avent bottles he’s still on the 1 hole newborn teats we have tried to move him on to the  number 2 teats as health visitor said it will help him learn to swallow more to prepare him for eating food...he just won’t feed from the 2 teats he just screams the house down and coughs and splutters with them and has half the milk dribbling out of his mouth as he try’s to drink it...so I’ve gone back to the newborn teats so my question is does it matter? If he’s happy with his newborn teats then leave him be? Or is it important that he moves on? 

Replies

• Hello. I would say this - eventually, whatever happens, your son will have to go up to the next sized teat - be it now or later, how will get used to it, so really, you're delaying the inevitable. Please, please don't stress about it, he'll get the hang of the new teat in a day or two, and all will be fine. 

• My 9 month old is still on 2 teats I really wouldn't worry he doesn't get board with feeding and he takes his milk nicely from it. he will drink from free flowing beakers too but he coughs a lot as he's tired when he has his milk in the morning and night