Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breastfeeding past 8 months - help please!

Hi I am new to this site - just found it today! What is wrong with this country there is so little help for mums who want to continue breastfeeding.
My story - I have a nine year old daughter who I breast fed for 9 months - until she got teeth and wouldnt stop biting!
My younger daughter is just approaching 8 months and Im glad to say things are going well - she only has two teeth! Apart from that I also feel things have changed (or maybe just my attitude!) towards feeding in public since my first. I have some great feeding tops which help immensly! But I dont know anyone else who is still breastfeeding this far in! Would really like some support to keep going! My health visitor is asking me each time i go have i given up yet!
I dont want to stop but just feel a bit isolated - so can anyone give me a bit of a lift?? I really didnt find feeding my youngest at all easy and basically didnt settle into it until she was about 6 weeks. But now I wouldnt change things for the world! Not sure my partner agrees as she still getting up in the night and if one more person tells him its because she breastfed I will scream!!!

Replies

• Options
    hi KCJ i fed my daughter till she was one and on the night before her first birthday i stopped thinking plenty of distraction the next day would keep her ocupied? why not feed her whats best for her whats wrong with that free and good for her an all round good move i say i still wish sometimes now that she was still fed as that time is so special as long as you know your doing whats best dont worry about other peoples opinions as at the end of the day breastfed babies are more healthy! be proud of what you do not many people manage this long
  • Options
    I haven't tried them yet but we have a class in my area that meet up at childbased cafe once a week for breastfeeding mums and people who are interested. Theres also a meet up in the health centre where you can chat without appointment to the health visitor and other mums whilst you have a cup of tea and the babies have meet up.

Best bet is to ask the health visitor who should have any details of anything going on in your area. image
  • Options
    You've done so well to feed to feed her for this long, if you want to keep going I don't see the problem! My HV spent ages making me feel guilty that I wasn't able to breastfeed, and yours is telling you to stop. The one thing that I have learnt about being a mother so far is no matter what you do someone will critise you, so what matters is if you are happy with things, and if you want to carry on doing it and don't listen to anyone else. Everyone has an opinion, but it doesn't matter what anyone else things. Well done to you again and keep it up!!xx
  • Options
    Hi, i breastfed all 4 of my children for just over a year. Towards the end it was just mainly at night, but then i got to the point where i felt that i needed my body back. I hope that doesnt sound mean, it just felt right for me and for them! Im expecting baby no 5 in 9wks and im really looking forward to breastfeeding again. Good luck and keep up the good work. Debs x
  • Options
    Hi Kcj, i can't help with your question as i could only feed my now 6 year old for 9 days and then found out that she hated milk. It is good to hear that alot of you have managed to breast feed for a long period of time hopefully i will be able to this time. My question is where did you get your feeding tops from?
  • Options
    hi kcj im pregnant with my third and i just gave up breastfeeding the second at xmas , she was 3 on feb 4th so you do the math, yes 2yrs 10mths , we have a very close bond and i just ignored peoples comments. image my hv told me it was discusting but to me it was natural to feed up till that age, good luck and give me a shout if you need any support , sharron