Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

b/feeding tips

I thought id start a post where people could put tips on what helped them during b/feeding to help any1 planning on b/feeding. I read loads of books b4 boys were born but best tips i got were from other mums. so here are my top tips:

Make sure you are a little chilly: I have found having pointed nipples makes latching on easier

buy a good feeding pillow that grips to your body (like my breast friend feeding pilllow or e z to nurse) as it helps you get comfortable

and illogical as it is i find having a large glass of milk a day gets my head in the right place and makes me feel im producing milk, it all seems to be working!

any other tips? xx

[Modified by: doublebubble on 05 May 2007 10:25:09 ]

Replies

• relax!! it might be your 10th time bf but the baby hasn't done it before so like everything else he's got to learn!
    take each 24 at a time . if your having problems just say to yourself "if its still like this in 24 hours i will either stop or ask for more help"
  • i breast fed my last till she was nearly 3 image all i can advise isdont put any pressure on yourself no matter how long you feed for you have done your best take 1 day at a time and dont be afraid to top up with a bottle if you or baby is getting stressed
  • Buy Lansinoh nipple cream and use it daily from around 7 months pg, it helps prepare your nips and heals any soreness (its almost a tenner but a little goes a long way). Buy silicone nip shields for the bad days when theyre really sore and also consider cool packs to pop in your bra (or cabbage from the fridge if you can bear the smell).
  • feeding from both breasts, expressing inbetween feeds, If feeding from one breast expressing the other whilst feeding bub, feed in the most comfortable postion for you, dont time the feed let the bub just drop off whens he/she has had enough, relax and allow let-down to happen, havig a snack whilst feeding also helps to get the milk flowing better, rest whne bub does, keep up your fluids and diet for best milk production, if palling to bath bubs, also bath him/her before a feed, also chnage bubs nappies before each feed, make sure bubs has a big wide open mouth and his/her chest level with yours... Hope this helps. Amirah xo