Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Going back to work and breastfeeding - baby refusing bottle

Hi all, I’m due to go back to work in 2 weeks time when my daughter is 6 months old, I’m still breastfeeding, I have tried to combine breast and bottle feed but my daughter declines the bottle and will only settle with breast, any advice would be greatly appreciated, I’m a care worker, going back part time to start with, thank you 

Replies

• Options

Hi well done on your breastfeeding journey so far.  i remember being so anxious about this and it was a relief to know I wasnt alone and it is common

It’s amazing how they behave in a nursery setting (or whatever childcare provision you have) 

Have you started weaning this was helping with my first who also refused bottles until he was much older so he got by on solids and water and feed when I got back and on my off days 

for my 61/2 old i decided to do a phased return because he isn’t ready for solids. The nursery did a 2 week settling in period and observed us feed and sleep patterns. I gave up bottles spent loads. He would drink a few mls from doidy cup so o got a viral baby sippy cup and removed the suction valve to make It free flow. It’s messy but he gets some milk from it.

He had his first full day yesterday was impressed to see he has 3-4 spoons of solid (puree) and I left 2 bottles of expressed milk which he had from the sippy cup 

You can start with breastmilk from a sippy cup or doidy cup and gradually substitute for formula

feel free to ask any questions you may have 

• Options

* this helped with My first (not this was helping)