Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

worried about breast feeding

Hi all just wondered if any of you had problems with 1st baby but found it easy with 2nd baby. I only managed 9 days with my daughter, and i really want to be able to with this one just a little worried. How do you feed discreatly as i never got that far. Any replies and i'll be very gratefull :\)

Replies

• Hi mrs, i think its really important to have a lot of support when breast feeding from friends, family and the midwife. I have breast fed all 4 of mine, each one for about a yr. I think you will find it easier this time, try not to get stressed and ask for help if you need it. I think most mums worry that their baby isnt getting enough milk because you cant see how much they are taking, but you have to trust your body its very well equipped to fed your baby. I found that the best way to feed discreatly is not to wear button through tops as they reveal all of your breast but to wear tops that you can lift up and you can allways put a shawl over your shoulder to cover up even more. After a while you will just whip them out anywhere! lol. My mother in law used to expect me to go upstairs and sit in one of the bedrooms to feed but you cant do that you could be there for ages and then you would miss out on everything thats going on downstairs. I think it will all be fine for you, good luck, sorry i do go on a bit! lol x
  • I know what you mean mrs. i managed about 4 weeks with my first and 10 weeks with my second. I never got the hang of feeding in public and didnt feel comfortable going out cos the baby woud need feeding. I suppose its more to do with how much ppl look at you...i always felt the need to hide away in a toilet or changing room. I loved it when i changed to bottles- i could sit in a cafe and feed her and people would love to talk to you as you did it. This time im gonna give it another go but the midwife has been great. She said to try and if baby didnt take to it fairly quickly then i should switch to bottles. All we can do is try- i wont feel a failure if it doesnt go to plan.
  • I really struggled to start with with dd and never got that used to feeding her in very public places especially cos she was a very noisy feeder! I ended up popping in to see our doctor's practice nurse and phoning the NCT breastfeeding helpline a few times just to talk to someone and get reassured that I was doing it right, that hungry days when she was never off me were quite normal and would end! I'd agree with the other post about tops without buttons, it's amazing how well they'll feed when they're shoved up your jumper! Also agree about the support cos it is hard work and literally takes a lot out of you, I got my hubby involved when he was in by making him get me a drink, getting me anything I needed and in winding her afterwards so I could be comfy and get myself sorted. He also made sure that I had time & space to feed in comfort and would shepherd his mates out of the way if I didn't want them there & explained to our olds why breastfeeding was important to me since they'd not done it. Good luck with it x
  • I just wanted to say thanks to you all for your advice and debbs you didn't go on to much lol. You have put my mind at ease. Just have to try and see when this litle bundle arrives lol :\) Thanks again