Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Advise please-FTM anxiety or something wrong?

Hi all,

Hoping for a bit of advice if anyone has any similar issues with their little ones.

My DD is 6 weeks and over the last week I have started to have feeding worries (I mainly breastfeed but add in formula when needed- hungry baby). She started coughing and spluttering when being breastfed followed by struggling to catch her breath/wheezing sound (like something has caught the back of her throat, almost a mini choking episode).. although it feels like hours, these episodes only last a second and I lean her forward and slap her back and she's fine. I, on the other hand am really shaken up and scared at the situation. Its made me scared to breast feed, so I've been expressing as I feel I can control her amounts. It helps. 

Health visitor said it could be my letdown. But I seem to struggle with milk production and I never see or feel it gushing out. 

I have a major anxiety around choking anyway..but never thought a baby could choke of liquid until I started googling (sorry if that sounds dumb).

Anyway after swapping to bottle and slowing down her feeds it seems to really help these spluttering sessions and I felt a bit calmer...however, yesterday around 1hr30mins after eating she was in her sleepy head and I heard her cough and then wheeze as if struggling to get air in..I grabbed her instantly and tapped her back and she was fine...again I'm a shaking leaf and feel sick. I rang HV who said if she's feeding and well in herself nothing to worry about but call GP if concerned.

I now feel I can't out her down or sleep without watching her as I'm terrified that will happen when I'm not around. 

I've been googling but I think that it is feeding my anxiety as I'm reading all these horror stories and now I just think the worst is going to happen.

Has anyone else experienced this and could it be reflux coming back up when she's sleeping? What would be other symptoms of reflux?

Any tips to manage my anxiety? 

Also will be ringing doc in morning just want to get people's opinions/advise. 

Thank you X

Replies

• Bless you, couldn’t read and run! 

I think any mother would worry if their baby had nearly choked, have You considered a first aid course for paediatrics, purely for the knowl so that IF your Baby ever needed you, you’d be able to efficiently help. 

Have you always had anxiety? Googling is honestly the worst thing you can do, you only have to type in nasal hair and your riddled! 

My son had reflux and he used to scream whenever he was laid flat and would throw up an entire feed seconds after he was given it