Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Breastfeeding: relactation and latching on - help!!

Hi

My baby is nearly 4 months old and breastfeeding has not been established but I'm still trying!! I still put my baby to the breast but he either cries, screams or turns his head away and refuses to open his mouth!! But, recently he seemed to latch on but then didn't suck!

During the first few weeks he did latch on but would not breastfeed for long. I cup fed him SMA Gold since day 1 at the hospital as I did not get support to establish breastfeeding. About 2 weeks ago I stopped cup feeding my baby as breastfeeding counsellor advised me to bottle feed him as it is important for babies to suck. But, now I'm not sure whether to try cup feeding again as the bottle may be making breast feeding almost imposible?? I feel that I've tried everything and I'm very disappointed that breastfeeding is still not established after 4 months of perseverance. My milk supply is very low but I express what I can to give to my baby.

I am still determined to breastfeed my baby but I don't know if he's too old now at 4 months and if I should give up and just accept that it will not work now.

Any ideas how I can build up my milk supply and encourage my baby to latch on?? Thanks.

Adele :\?

Replies

• hi. it sounds like a problem. baby should have by now established feeding, you didn't get the right support and help at the beginning which is such a shame. you sound like you are doing all the right things by expressing to encourage milk supply. the midwives at your maternity unit sound like they were incompetant at giving you the right advice.
    by giving the bottle so often you will find that breast feeding will be hard you should put your baby to the breast as often as possible. and drink plenty and try to rest to encourage milk supply. i have breastfed my last 4 kids and am expecting my 5th, so i have experianced many problems with breast feeding.
    it is important that baby has plenty of milk at this age. how much do you manage to express?
    by now your milk should be well established. i'm so sorry for you that this has happened. you could try phoning your maternity unit to see if they have a midwife that is breast feeding councellor trained, my local unit has 4. or try your health visitor for advice.
    breastfeeding is such a lovely experience when you get the right support and you have been left to struggle. you will know what is right as mum to baby trust your instincts. but sucking is important to babys mouth development.
    good luck. and take care.xx
  • im so sorry that you have had a rough time , my daughter didnt feed very well at first so my milk didnt get chance to build up , my health visitor suggested that for 15 min before a feed i gave her a dummy so she could learn to suck then by the time i gave her the breast she would get the reward for sucking . please note that she didnt have a dummy at any other time. i ended up feeding her till 2 months before her 3rd birthday so it worked for me, good luck sharron
  • Thats a really good idea Sharron, not heard it before. Did it matter what sort of dummy? (You never know when bits of information like this might come in handy!)
  • she didnt say we used the ones that are like a nipple and you can see inside the mouth they are made by nuby she never became attached to her dummy hope it helps

• Hi

Thanks so much for all of your support and suggestions. I am at home for the next few days focused on breastfeeding. I've recently realised that my baby prefers lying down position beside me. He cries when I attempt to breastfeed him on my lap! He seems to latch on but doesn't suck - maybe now he's forgotten how to suck?!!

I'm wondering whether to cup feed him again as I'm concerned that he is now too used to the bottle and it affects his ability to latch on and breastfeed. Any ideas?

Sharon, where can I buy the breast shaped dummies from - Mothercare or Boots? I'll have a look today.

Adele :\)

• i got mine from boots good luck xx