Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breastfeeding support and advice

Hi ladies
Im charlotte, im 33 and i have 5 children, 14 13 10,3 and 7 weeks old. I wanted to start a thread for any ladies looking for help,advice or just a little support whilst breast feeding or for any ladies thinking of doing it. I understand breast feeding isnt for everyone and not everyone can do it and thats totaly fine but to have somewhere to come and chat about it and get the information about it may give you the encouragement to try it. I bottle fed my older three as i was a young mum,i had my eldest at 19 and i didnt have the confidence or support around me to even try it,it wasnt until i had my now 3 year old at 30 that i was more confident in myself and got more information and support to breast feed. I am currently exclusivly breast feeding my 7 week old and its a conpletely different journey to my last,but rewarding. I could keep talking but im going to stop and let any lovely ladies ask anymore questions or worries they have. Hope to hear from you soon.charlotte

Replies

• Options
    Hi Charlotte I am currently due #4 and wondering how u manage to bf ur youngest with the others ? I bf my other 3 my 1st only for 3m i was only 18 my 2nd until she was 6m (my eldest was in playgroup by then) and my youngest until she was 9m (was easier as other 2 were at school) but I think my biggest worry now is time managing them all 😮 my husband is great but works nights and is asleep in the day and my youngest is clingy so part of me thinks bottle feeding will be easier and a way my youngest can be involved but then that said I think the bf benefits are good too 🤔 just looking for any tips really. X
  • Options
    Hi @Mich03 firstly congratulations on your pregnancy. You have done amazing to have fed all of them. This was my worry when i was pregnant,how would i cope with my 3 year old and breast feeding? Honestly alot of determination and  planning, my 3 year old goes to nursery 9am until 11.30am so i have the afternoon with her,when i need to feed i make sure she has someway of being entertained,like books,games, films etc. I also have a special bag wich only comes out when im feeding that she can pick to do sat next to me so im still interacting with her,so i have duplo, stories,colouring books, stickers you can do anything you like even little treats. Even if you breast feed the others can still be involved, my three year old helps me wind the baby and hold his hand while i feed,just because theres no bottle for them to hold doesnt mean they cant help. The first few weeks are the hardest with the feeding on demand and cluster feeding, you will find your feet and what works for you as a family. Ill be on here for any help or advice along the way. Your already doing fab. Charlotte
  • Options
    Thanks Charlotte, u would think by no4 I would have it cracked but always seems to be a different obstacle  to overcome..... still got some time yet as this ones not due till Sept but my youngest is only doing a few days at playgroup to start with so really torn which way to go but one thing I love about bf is the bond and the night feeds are so much easier 😜 thanks for your tips though there are some really good ideas there which would help I think what's torn me really is my eldest will be 14 by the time this one comes then my girls are 10 & 3 so fitting feeds around school runs/ clubs etc etc wilk be harder as they are at 3 different schools for next yr 🙄 especially with the cluster stages which my youngest had several phases of.... good to know theres some ways to ease it though i really like the bag at feedtime idea so thankyou x
  • Options
    I have a 14 13 10 and 3 year old aswell, at three different schools,i just made it work because i had to. I think in our minds its hsrder as we think of every possible problem that we could have but until baby is here we can actualy tell what its going to be like. My hubby works full time so i do the school runs etc, the first few weeks were the hardest as my baby would always want a feed on the school run i would advive to get a baby carrier/sling as in them first weeks baby is happy of there close to you and it makes it easier for you to get things done and sort other children. Will your hubby be taking paternity leave? Your right breast feeding is more convenient, no need to wait for a bottle to be ready and a baby screaming in the night while its being made, dont neednto find somewhere to heat a bottle while your out but for me the health benefits for yourself and baby are amazing. Try not to put so much pressure on yourself now,all you can do it wait and try and see how it goes,try get and accept as much help and support as you can,it doesnt make you any less of a mum,we all need help sometimes. You can always express and have some in a bottle if ot gets too much. Hope this has helped a little.charlotte
  • Options
    Hi Mummyofffive
    Thanks for starting this thread i really need help.
    My baby girl born on 11th jan this year by planned c-section. I had a smooth pregnancy and delivery but didnt knew that i will find breastfeeding that complex. 
    Before baby was born i was happy for her to have breastmilk and formula together. But after my c-section my milk came after 2 days and within these two days i was able to provide her colostrum but as there was not milk coming she didnt latch on me for long and also my nipples are bit flat so she was given cow and gate ready milk in hospital. When i came back home i tried pumping. 1st week was my breast were bit full so i was able to express 2-3 times a day approx 90 ml still very less but it was coming. But from 3rd week onwards it's come down to 30ml no matter how many times i pump. Midwife have advice to breastpump every 3 hours and to use nipple shield. But the prob which i am having is i am feeling bit depressed about not having good milk supply and pumping less milk makes me feel guilty. I am using Pregnacare breast feeding supplements also but doesnt seems to help much. i am bit confused right now , i feel happy when i see her having good feed on formula milk as her appetite is increasing day by day but pumping makes me feel sad but i still want to continue breastpumping atleast for 3 months , so any tips how to increase milk?
  • Options
    Are you nursing your baby and then pumping after a nursing session?

• Options
    @Meetingbaby firstly congratulations on your little one and secondly your doing amazing. It sounds like your going through a tough time but thats ok aswell. I don't  think we are fully prepared for every eventuality. Some women just cant express so we cant use it as a true indicator for your supply but also many things can help whilst trying to pump and being relxed is one of them. Maybe having skin to skin with  baby at the same time. This is also really good for baby to find the breast naturally and latch on. If you want to feed more from the breast i would be inclined to offer breast first but before little one is too hungry. Try having having bathd together and lots of skin to skin. The more baby feeds from the breast your supply will increase. Are you using nipple shields now? Do you have any support from health visitor or midwife at all? 
    Charlotte