Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

7 weeks old gone from 6oz to 3oz feeds! Help!

my little boy has been having 6oz feeds for the last two weeks but the past 3-4 days has reduced this to 2-3oz every 2-3 hours. He will have the odd one or two bottles with 4-5oz a day but that’s it. Am I worrying over nothing? He’s happy, nappies are fine. 
He was on hungry baby milk but I moved him to comfort due to colic issues. Could this shift in formula be the issue and he isn’t a fan as much as the hungry baby formula? 

Replies

• Hey, my little boy is a few days younger than yours ( He'll be 7 weeks on Sunday) and takes anywhere from 3-5oz at the moment - it all depends how hungry he is. It definitely could be the change in formula. Jamie is on a special formula and can put away more of this than he ever could with normal formula or even expressed breast milk. I'd say as long as he's got wet and dirty nappies and doesn't appear to be in any pain it's probably nothing and he'll pick up again in a few days. Was he taking 6oz for long or could it have been a growth spurt making him super hungry? Either way if you're worrying give your health visitor a call and see if they think you need to try something else :). I hope he's back to normal soon for you! 
  • @LoomyNarti has your little one got a cold or anything? My son will be 9 weeks on Monday and has been taking wanting 7oz over about 2 hours. Weve switched around milk between hungry baby, sma etc. and thought the same about hungry baby milk, he seemed to love it and did drop down to 4 or 5oz every 3 hours for a while. To best honest he was up at 4am this morning and settled until just now on 4oz. 

As long as he is wanting the milk, not throwing everything up, wetting nappies and is alert, I don't woody so much. You could always give your health visitor or Dr a call though, they won't mind! 
  • @LoomyNarti has your little one got a cold or anything? My son will be 9 weeks on Monday and has been taking wanting 7oz over about 2 hours. Weve switched around milk between hungry baby, sma etc. and thought the same about hungry baby milk, he seemed to love it and did drop down to 4 or 5oz every 3 hours for a while. To best honest he was up at 4am this morning and settled until just now on 4oz. 

As long as he is wanting the milk, not throwing everything up, wetting nappies and is alert, I don't woody so much. You could always give your health visitor or Dr a call though, they won't mind! 
    He has had a snotty nose and has got a sticky eye. Could this be causing his feeding issues? We’re weaning him back over to hungry baby and he seems to be enjoying it more than the comfort milk now. 
  • If he's snotty he might not be able to latch properly, it's the same for us when we're completely bunged up, you can't swallow without your ears popping. 

I can't remember but I think the hungry baby formula is sweeter than the normal, my health visitor said some babies just prefer the taste of one over the other. 
  • My daughter has done the same gone from 5-6oz bottles down to 2-3oz which I wouldn’t mind but she’s under the second percentile. 

I just persist she drinks 3 oz and stops but I keep offering it to her and she eventually takes it but it can be an hour later.

good luck! If u figure out the issue I’m all ears!