Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Stopping the evening breastfeed at 2 years!!?

So I’ve exclusively breastfed my son. He’s now 18 months old and just doing an evening feed before he goes to sleep. This always was and still is the only fed where he is fed to sleep. But I’ve kept this to 30mins (15 each side). Sometimes he’s asleep when he goes down, mostly he’s just very very close! 

We are planning to carry on until he’s 2 but I’m getting increasingly worried about how we will stop? 

Since our boy was about 6 months old my husband has done story time and then they’ve called me in to feed. The advice I’ve read suggests to get someone other than mum to do the bedtime routine, but this already happens. We’re planning on giving him milk with his story. And then I’ll come and say goodnight and put him down, but wondering if anyone has any advice out there. It feels like I’m in the minority when it comes to breastfeeding for so long! 

Oh and he goes down fine for his daytime nap. We pop him in his cot wide awake and within minutes he’s normally asleep! 

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    This isn't really advice, as I don't know if we just happened to get lucky. I breastfed until my son was nearly one and a half. When I went back to work when he was 9 months old, I fed him in the morning and at night. When I stopped breastfeeding, he had no problem taking the bottle instead and fell asleep as normal. I thought he would act up, but it didn't make a difference. I cut out my morning feeds first and then eventually the night feed.

Maybe to prepare for the new routine, since you plan on changing when you give him milk, closer to the time, you could breastfed him before/during his story, so that he gets used to having his milk with his story.

Try not to worry about it. Hopefully the transition will go easy. Enjoy your night feeds X 

• Options
    JaneDC said:
    This isn't really advice, as I don't know if we just happened to get lucky. I breastfed until my son was nearly one and a half. When I went back to work when he was 9 months old, I fed him in the morning and at night. When I stopped breastfeeding, he had no problem taking the bottle instead and fell asleep as normal. I thought he would act up, but it didn't make a difference. I cut out my morning feeds first and then eventually the night feed.

Maybe to prepare for the new routine, since you plan on changing when you give him milk, closer to the time, you could breastfed him before/during his story, so that he gets used to having his milk with his story.

Try not to worry about it. Hopefully the transition will go easy. Enjoy your night feeds X 

Thank you so much! He’s never really taken to a bottle. I know I probably could have pushed it but I didn’t really see the point. 

I might try feeding him before story time, but I reckon he’ll just fall asleep. 

And yes, trying really hard to continue to just enjoy it while it lasts. 
  • Options
    JJMeyers said:
    So I’ve exclusively breastfed my son. He’s now 18 months old and just doing an evening feed before he goes to sleep. This always was and still is the only fed where he is fed to sleep. But I’ve kept this to 30mins (15 each side). Sometimes he’s asleep when he goes down, mostly he’s just very very close! 

We are planning to carry on until he’s 2 but I’m getting increasingly worried about how we will stop? 

Since our boy was about 6 months old my husband has done story time and then they’ve called me in to feed. The advice I’ve read suggests to get someone other than mum to do the bedtime routine, but this already happens. We’re planning on giving him milk with his story. And then I’ll come and say goodnight and put him down, but wondering if anyone has any advice out there. It feels like I’m in the minority when it comes to breastfeeding for so long! 

Oh and he goes down fine for his daytime nap. We pop him in his cot wide awake and within minutes he’s normally asleep! 

Thanks
    The likelihood is that the contact with your skin, your scent and the unique bond between you is what sends him to the land of nod for the night.
    Mine would feed for a matter of seconds before dropping off. Maybe if daddy wears something that you have left your smell and a touch of milk on? 
    It's a matter of how much you want it to happen and persistence. If everyone's happy, don't feel you have to do it now.
    They don't often continue beyond school age. Be good to yourself. A lovely, healthy 2 year old is an achievement.