Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Breastfeeding and smoking?

Hello everyone not looking for any judgement just advice! I gave birth 3 weeks ago, quit my whole pregnancy but I’ve started smoking again due to the stress ( no excuse I know) don’t smoke in the house change clothes and wash hands ect, but my question is how does this effect my breast I’ll as I’m elusively breastfeeding, should I switch to formula? I am really beating myself up about it. Thankyou  

Replies

• Hey! No judgement at al.. also cause i was like you with my first! Although from month 7-9 i was smoking about 5 per day... When baby was born i kept my 5/day (my dr had said it was ok).. i only breastfead til he was 3 months though.. with this pregnabcy now, from the beginning i have smoked 1-2 cigarettes/week, just on weekends, and ill probably do the same when baby is born in a few weeks... My paediatrician said that 5/day won't harm the baby... 
  • EmPa said:
    Hey! No judgement at al.. also cause i was like you with my first! Although from month 7-9 i was smoking about 5 per day... When baby was born i kept my 5/day (my dr had said it was ok).. i only breastfead til he was 3 months though.. with this pregnabcy now, from the beginning i have smoked 1-2 cigarettes/week, just on weekends, and ill probably do the same when baby is born in a few weeks... My paediatrician said that 5/day won't harm the baby... 
    oh that’s good to know Thankyou! I smoked with my son but quit this pregnancy so do feel abit silly going that far just to smoke again!