Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is it time to drop a feed?

Cameron's almost a year and still has 3 bottles a day, 6oz after breakfast, about 5oz mid afternoon and then 8oz before bed. I've noticed that in the last couple of weeks he hasn't been eating alot at teatime and i'm wondering if his afternoon bottle is spoiling his appetite.

I know that up until a year they're meant to have about a pint of milk each day, how much do they need after a year?

Replies

• Hiya Dawn,
    We've not spoken in a while, I hope you are well.

My friend has a little one who is 1 on 4th April and she has just been told my her H/V to drop a feed from 3 to 2 bottles. So she did and her daughter started waking in the night again, so she's gone back to 3 bottles a day again. Her daughted is quite small for her age (18lb) so I think she just was'nt ready as she's probably the size of an 8/9 month old.
    How big is Cameron?
    I think you have to let him decide, when he stops drinking the whole lunchtime bottle, you could start reducing the oz's till he goes without completely.
    Hope this helps xx
  • Hiya Lucy

I'm fine thanks, how are you?

He hasn't been weighed since beginning of Jan so i've no idea how heavy he is, but i'm taking him to baby clinic next week so he'll get weighed then.
    He usually guzzles the mid afternoon bottle, so i really don't know if he is ready to do without it. I think i'll just leave him on 3 bottles for now and then like you suggested gradually reduce the amount. He's teething as well so that could also explain slight loss in appetite at teatime.

Thanks xx
  • Personally i would try and drop it if you could and see how he gets on. I did with Tate after his first birthday, he would continue to ask for milky noo-noo's for a while. If he was having a bad day or tired or ill I would let him have one. I think we had totally stopped around the time Luka was born (Tate was 18months). Don't forget he will be getting calcium from yoghurts and cheese and has milk on cereal? Just see how he goes you can always let him have it back if he needs it?
  • Thanks Nicola, i'm going to start to gradually reduce the amount and see how we get on!!
  • good idea, it depends how attached he is. As tate definitely finds milky bottles a comfort thing so he was really upset at first! X
  • He's never been too fussed about milk, he's a boy who likes his grub!!!!
  • Katelin only dropped her lunchtime bottle at Christmas and she was 19 months old but she did it on her own, she just stopped drinking it.
    I always offered it to her after her lunch.
  • Hi girls, this is sometnhing that i've been worrying loads about!! Ambers quite a big girl and now that she can eat some solids, i'm very concious about trying to reduce the amount of milk she has. In 7 weeks i've got it down from 6 9oz bottles a day to a 9oz for breekkie (as 1/2 pear doesn't fill her up)! 5ozs with tea and 9oz at bedtime. I keep thinkning that she should only be on 2 bottles now but then again it has all the vitamins she needs and she's still on a very limited diet.

As Cameron enjoys his food, i'm sure it won't be long until he happily drops a bottle!!! x x x
  • Dont worry hun,like you say she has a limited foo intake and still prob needs her milk.Hope you are able to up her food intake soon.

xx
  • Well he made a complete liar out of me yesterday!!!
    He guzzled his afternoon bottle, then ate all his spaghetti bolognese at teatime and had apple and custard for pud. He did leave a couple of ounces of his bedtime bottle, but still slept all night. Think i'll just leave things for the moment as he seems quite happy!!!

Tasha - My friend's little boy is almost 2 and he still has 9oz milk morning and night. Like you said Amber's diet is quite limited and she probably still needs the milk for the moment.
    How's it going with the food???
  • They like to keep you on your toys eh Dawn!

Tasha, I would think Amber is perfectly normal considering her limited diet, shes already cut down on her bottles loads so will do more as she expands her food intake. Hows she doing??
  • i think you really have to go on the child and what they want.

as you probably know, tara was on 3 6oz bottles but we have put another few oz in in the evening to get her through the night. i think if they need it, theyll drink it, and if they dont, they will soon let you know. trial and error i think!!

believe it or not, niamh still loves a big cup of milk in the morning and one before bed. loves it!!

hope you soon work out whats best for cameron

kas xx