Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

moving from breastfeeding to bottles

Hi
I'm probably going to start moving on to formula when LO is 6 months but am unsure how to do this? I have heard that you drop one feed a week which sems reasonable, but I was reading Gina Ford earlier and as well as doing this she recommends cutting down the length of the feed each day and gradually topping up with more and more formula until on a full feed? Is this really necessary? Sounds complicated especially as LO doesn't feed for the same length of time each feed!

Replies

• Hi - I know you posted this a while ago but I wondered how you got on? I've just started to wean my DD (5 months) onto a bottle of formula for her daytime feeds. So far I've just dropped one feed and plan to drop another one in a week or so. I've not had any probs with engorgement but I know the Gina Ford method can be a better way of cutting your supply without any leakage problems.
  • Hi
    I just dropped one feed a week. Didn't bother with the Gina Ford method and have had no problems. Just have one feed left to drop - am very sad that am stopping as have loved breastfeeding - but LO is 71/2 months now so he's had a good start! How has your daughter taken to the bottle? My little boy wasn't keen at all for the first week or so and it was a bit of a battle but he's absolutely fine now x