Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work

Are any working mums Midwives??? career advice needed please

Hi

I posted a topic on here recently about managing shift work and being a mum and got a very positive response.

I would really like to retrain and become a midwife (I currently work in management accounts). Its something that I would have always liked to have done but never really felt confident enough to pursue it. Anyway, now that I am mum I have found a whole new me, and feel extremely confident in myself and want to go back to university and retrain to do a job I love. I have read that the course can sometimes be difficult to get accepted onto so I know I will have to do my research before applying.

However, my main dilemma is that my family isn't complete yet, and feel that maybe I should do this before starting any retraining? My son is currently 4months old and we would like to start TTC when LO is around 9 months old. If all goes to plan and we ceonceive quickly then I would hope to be enroling on a course for Sept 2010. But, what if TTC takes a lot longer than expected (for some it can take years 2 nd time round)? Should I enrol anyway and then if I do fall pregnant would that matter?? I know that NHS students on a bursary are entitled to maternity pay, but if I left to have a baby half way through training would this be a reflection of lack of commitment and would it hold me back?? I don't really want to put off retraining for much later than 2010 as I will be nearly 30 then and don't want to miss an opportunity. I really don't know what to do for the best. Things may fall into place for me nicely but I am very analytical and like to plan things and in this instance I suppose there is only so much planning you can do. The rest is down to mother nature.

Anyway if anyone can give me any advice with regards to my dilemma or just share their expereinces of being a midwife that would be fantastic.

Thanks

Rebecca

[Modified by: becs06 on 14 March 2008 22:06:59 ]

Replies

• Hi Rebecca, im a nurse and graduated 2 years ago. Iv recently had my first baby and loving every minute of it. While I was in uni, one of the girls fell pregnant in 1st year and was determined to finish the course on time but when the baby came she soon realised that it was really hard going with being on placement, essays and exams to study for and look after a small baby so she took time out from study. I dont know if she did finish the course though. If you did fall pregnant your university must be supportive just like employers.
    xx
  • Hi I qualified as a nurse in 2006 and a girl I trained with fell pregnant in our final year, she finished around our easter break and took 6 monhts out and went back to do her last 6 months in the september and qualified the following April (2007) she managed to get a full time post and she had no problems with uni or placements etc, but that was probably due to how the term was and where her pregnancy fell into it. Good luck with whatever you decide.xxx
  • Hi I am a midwife and just to let you know it is hard work, long hours for very little pay but if that doesnt put you off go for it we need more good midwives and it can be a rewarding job but also a hard heart breaking job as well so just be prepared. My group were mature students but in the other groups there were quite a few young girls who were taking time out to have babies. I would still apply now as it can be very difficult to get on the course and the waits can be long so the sooner you apply the better good luck x