Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Childminders?

Hi, just wondered if anyone uses a childminder or perhaps works as one? My eldest son has just started full time school so i'll be working 10-2 four days a week and my youngest will be in nursery. My problem is i'm having to pay the nursery for 4 full days even though he'll only be there from about 9 til 3. I've heard childminders charge by the hour? Is this true? And what do i look for in a childminder? How do i know if i've got a good one? Thanks for your help ladies x

Replies

• Options
    I love my childminder, have a look at a thread further down in here called who watches your kids whilst you work (or something like that) the whole charging for a full day & inflexability of nurseries was one of the reasons I chose a cm as well as wanting my son to have a more "mum" style of looking after. Nurseries are a business a childminder is an individual who proivdes children with one to one care. A no brainer for me but you have to go with what you find suits you best.

A cm will generally work less hours (i.e. you usually can only drop off from 8.30am & pick up at 5.30pm) so this is why nursery suits a lot of parents who work full time but I work from home so lo only goes 9 till 4.
  • Options
    To find the list of local cm's in your area contact your local child advisory centre, they have up to date lists of which cm's have availablity.

I chose mine purely on instinct, of course she had the required certification, training, insurance & qualifications but I just liked her on sight & trusted her. She was flexible & was happy to fit around what i wanted so we did a settling in period of 2 hrs 2 times per week during days the cm's other kids were at pre school etc so they could have a real 1-2-1 experience & we did this for 6 weeks so that when he was left with her full time it wasn't such a shock.
  • Options
    hi this post has just come at the right time i am looking for a childminder as we spaek, i have a 15 month old i used the direct gov web site and it helped it gave me a list in my area, i was very nervous and scared but after i spoke to a couple it was ok i have been to see one lady and im going to use her they do charge by the hour or session sometimes they put prices on the net when you search im happy with my choice and going to see her again about pay and hrs etc i grew up with my step mom being a minder and i feel they are better than nurserys as they are like home and not an instutue they are flexable and the one i have choose has a pack made up with things like policies and diet information she is very organised and im happy. id love to give up work and do minding but im now going to uni so thats not realstic really but i may when i decide to have another baby.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies! Do you think you will put your lo's into pre school or something when they are older as well as/instead of cm? Just wondering how they will find school otherwise. And when you say your cm is the mother you don't have time to be or in your other post you said like a second mummy, does that not make you feel a bit jealous? I would be worried that my son would prefer cm to me! Coz obviously he would have more fun there & get more attention etc! How old is your son by the way beebee?
  • Options
    Sonny is 16 months today :\)

I don't get jealous at all cause she doesn't try to be his mum. I meant about her being the 2nd mum in the sense that she takes him to the playgroups, does the playdates with other cm's & the kids they look after, does the park picnics during the day & all things I cant do cause I am working. If I was home I'd be doing it but I can't so she is the mum I don't have time to be. The one doing all the running around & amusing activities during the week.

When he is home we have our own play time & weekends are always our times but I wanted someone who loved him & not just looked atfer him as a job. She is genuinely concerned for his welfare & often calls me during the day to let me know he had a cry about something or if he seems a bit poorly. Not to tell me to collect him or anything just to keep me in the loop. I just dont feel I would get that same level of care from a nursery, or if I did it would be very unusual & lucky.

He does seem to prefer there when I drop him off in the morning but that is cause all his toys & his litle girlfrined Tilly are there but when I pick him up 7 hrs later he is all over me so I know he missed me, which is what I want :lol: Really, they will never love anyone as much as they love you, no matter how much fun the other women might be, so dont' worry over that.

I plan on putting him in pre-school when he is 21/2 - 3 but his cm does the local runs for that as well so he will go to that in the morning then to her for the rest of the day & she is happy to drop off & pick up for that too. The best of both worlds. ;\)

[Modified by: Beebee on September 11, 2008 08:56 PM]

• Options
    The best of both worlds does sound good! I know what you mean about not getting that level of care from a nursery. My sons have been at nursery until recently & they were actually really good i thought but with my older one at school now i've had to change nurseries (long story) The new nursery seems great & has a brilliant reputation but is quite busy in comparison & it makes me feel they wont be able to watch him enough & wont get to know him as well! I'm going to ring round tomorrow! Thanks for your help