Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone work full time in a 'long-hours' job?

Hello,

I am due to return to work full time in 7 weeks and I am dreading it.
I have quite a demanding job in an investment bank which requires me to work reasonably long hours along with (hopefully now infrequent) travel abroad and I was just wondering if anyone else was in a similar position and how you cope?

Being a full time mum is unfortunately not a viable option for me at present and my request for flexible workng hours has ben rejected :\(

My MIL is providing childcare which is a god-send but I can't envisage how I will be able to keep up a routine etc. Also I am so scared that my baby wil bond with my MIL and not want to come home with me at night.
My husband works US hours so I wont see much of him (which I am sure is going to create a whole other can of worms) but he will be there in the morning with our daughter, which is great, but yet again she will see more of him than me and I am worried that I am going to go futher and futher down in her list of affections (I know I sound like a child myself now!)

Anyone else in a situation like this??

Replies

• hi i hope i can help although i never wirked away i did work 3 days a week doing 14 hr shifts each day he went to a minder 2 days and mil the one day, i did find he got attached to mil but i soon found out why and its coz he quickly learnt that he had her wrapped round his little finger!!!!!! it was ok and i enjoyed the days off i also leanrt to play fun with him when we had our time he soon became attached to me and he respects the fact that i bath him, i feed him and i there when he is ill it didnt take long for this to happen although it was a little upsetting he is fine i now think he love being at mil and minders and he loves it when he gets to be home with us
  • I'm due to have my first baby in 10 weeks and I'm already dreading going back to work even though it's not until January! I am taking 6 months paid leave with 4 weeks holiday as it's all I can afford to take.

I also work for an investment bank and have no idea how I will juggle everything, but I have to as I earn more than hubby - quite a common thing nowadays. I can't afford to even drop 1 hour a day although I'm hoping to be able to take a short lunchbreak and leave 30 mins earlier. Will also ask to work from home on a Friday but have heard of other colleagues who have had their 'flexible' working requests declined. So many job losses as well doesn't help. I have no friends or family nearby so the baby will have to be in a nursery and I will be praying the trains don't go 'up the shoot' otherwise I'll be late.

It's such a worry but I guess it will be ok as so many other people are in the same boat.

Good luck!
  • Thanks for your replies!
    I didn't know that they were there, I used to get email notifications of replies, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore?!

Happymom, that is what I am going to try to do - make 'our' time as much fun as possible. One of the only good things about going back full time is that I can afford a cleaner, so I can devote my entire weekend to doing fun stuff together!

BabyGee, like you, I also earn more than hubby, so giving up was never an option (without the lottery win I have been praying for!). So many people keep saying that surly we could manage if we 'pulled our horns in' (?!) but I'm not going back to work for a lavish lifestyle, we need the money to pay the mortgage! I was pretty gutted to be turned down for flexible working though, (as we could have just managed) hopefully you will be more sucessful! Fingers crossed for you.
    TBH I would look around for something else, but as you said, it's such a bad time at the minute.

Oh well, I'm sure it will work out.

x
  • Hi there,

I am a solicitor in a city firm and have been back at work for 3 days a week since january. I know it isn't the same as working full time, but lots of my colleagues and friends do and so I have a bit of insight. If you would like to email me privately, please do.

Good luck x