Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Would I financially be able to work

Hi,

My partner and I are almost certain that we want to start to TTC and have talked ablout alsosrts of things there is however one hurdle that we cant get over and its down to finance. image

Before I say anything i just want to say that I dont plan to rely on the welfare state for too long (just the stuff everyone is entitled to -after all I pay my taxes)

Any how, this is my very basic financial plan (it may be wrong!)
up until 9 months, SMP, Child benifit and possible housing benefit (not sure if we are eligable)

Once the free educational placements start at 2 years I would work.

BUT... what do we do between 9m-2y?

I just wondered how people on a low income managed during this period. I am more than willing to work although i am sure it will emotionally be hard bt it seems it has to be done these days what with
the credit crunch etc. I've had a little look at shild care costs and if i stay on a simular salary to what i am now it really would be worth it as i wouldnt be bringin anything home!

I think that maybe this has opened my eyes that afteral the thinking and longing that we have been doing that we cant have a baby afterall.

:\(

Replies

• Sorry my spelling is awful it that post!
  • i'm only on low income myself, my lo is 7months old and i'm returning to work part time on july 1st. If your household income is below ??60,000 a year you will get tax credits and the government also contributes up to 80% of childcare cost depending on circumstance, or your employer may give childcare vouchers which save money...there is help available...i didnt think anything through before conceiving...thought i'd think about it later, only later is very nearly here now! x
  • Hi,
    Whilst i'm not in your predicament financially you could try logging on to the Inland revenue website HMRC.gov.uk. There shoulod be a section where you can input all your details , salaries hrs of work, chilcare costs. This should then be able to tell you what tax credite etc you should be entitled to.
    xx