Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Is it Difficult juggling work with a baby??

Hi

Im currently 13wks preg with my first child. I plan to have 9months on Maternity before i go back to work. Id love to stay at home full time until bump is at nursery but our finances cnt really be pushed to that as we still want to live. I hope to be going back to work 3/4 days a week, but i wanted to know how hard it was juggling a career with a baby!!

Do you feel you miss out on so much?? :\?

Replies

• Options
    Hiya

I';d say it is hard, hard at first as its a total change to your normal routine, but you do get used to it & it just becomes the norm to be honest. I would love to stay at home but my finances wouldnt allow that & my daughter is 2 now and i've been back at work since she was 6 months. I dont mind to be honest i need to work to be able to have the nice house we live in & buy my daughter everything she needs, she wants for nothing & is a very happy & bright 2 year old, and we can take nice hols etc so i cant complain really i suppose its worth working as i wouldnt be able to give her half the things she has if i didnt work ! I am due my 2nd in april & after my maternity leave sure it will be evern more of a stuggle with 2 but sure we will manage

Good luck, sure whatever you decide will be the right thing to do x
  • Options
    I think it also depends on how far you have to travel, how many hours a day you work & how much time you actually get to spend wiht your lo.

I am lucky as I work full time from home so drop lo off at childminder at 10am & pick him up at 4pm, I get up at 6 & am online from then until lo wakes up at 8 so I can spend time in the morning giving him bottle & breakfast, get him dressed & generally have a play, he has a small nap around 9.15am till I take him to the cm at 10 & when I pick him up at 4 I stop work for the day & may catch up on stuff once he is in bed around 7. So in general daily I spend 4hrs a day with him & it is quite easy for me to juggle the time.

I dont' feel like I am missing out as it is a good 4hrs but If I had to commute like in the past (3hrs a day) then it woudl be harder as I would hardly see him & I would have had to find a different job to fit around him so it really depends on what your work life balance is like now & how flexible it can be once lo gets here.
  • Options
    I'm lucky that my work fits in really well, i am self employed but only have to go into work mon-fri mornings, I then have afternoons and weekends with Maddie and as i work with oh he is the same, we both work in the evenings but feel very lucky that we can both spend time with our lo and not miss out. I also have the best mum who looks after Maddie when we work (she does go to nursery 2 half days a week).