Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

can you explain working/child tax credit purrlease?

Could someone explain working tax credits and child tax credits to me if they didn't mind?
Im very confused...i have tried reading what they are but im dyslexic and struggle to understand some things unless they are in lamans terms!! Do I have to apply for them?

Do you have to fill a form in for child benefit before or after the birth of your new baby?

Help would be greatly appreciated xxxxx

Replies

• Hiya hun,

There should be a form in ur new baby pack you will get from hospital when u've had littlun for child benefit. You will need birth certificate to prove baby's birth.

How long you got left? I would contact tax credits - 0845 300 3900
    Say you are going to have a baby soon and would like the Tax Credit forms sent out so you can start filling them in. You will need proof of baby's birth - either birth certificate or child benefit number but they will back date to a certain extent.

[Modified by: MummyX5 on June 11, 2008 01:09 PM]
  • Thanks mummyx5...you have become my personal advisor!! te he!! Thank you.
    im 23 wks at the mo..but I will deffinately ring that number today and ask for the form.
    Just waiting for my work place to ring me after my occy health app that I told you about. It went well...Occy health Dr advised I be moved somewere else in the company as the stress is harming me. So hoping this happens now.

Hope you are well xxxxx
  • Hi there,

I'm a single parent myself, although my daughter is now 9 years old. I got into the site, via Emma Jones, who did the web chat yesterday, as I answer questions like this for her members on enterprisenation.com.

Quick resume:

There are two types of Tax Credit available, Working Tax Credits, and Child Tax Credits.

The former is available to individuals / couples (with or without children), provided they work at least 15 hours (but ideally more than 30 hours) per week.

The latter is only available to households with children, but it is available for a household income of up to ??60,000 (or ??66,000 if there is a child under one year old in the family).

The benefit is divided into two elements; the main element, which is available to all, and the childcare element, which is a contribution (of up to 75%) towards childcare costs (provided the childcare provider is ofsted registered).

Other benefits available to claimants, include free NHS prescriptions and free dental care.

Hope that helps.

Alan