Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

ChildCare

I am about to return to work after a short spell of 3 months on maternity leave. I have got my LO into a nursery where she will be for 5 afternoons per week (my OH is taking the morning shift as I will be working full time). I was wondering though what everyone else does for childcare, as mine will be the youngest at nursery by some margin, is it that people just have more time off work? Also I looked into getting a childminder however nobody would take her? I wondered if that was because she was so young? I am interested to hear about other peoples experiences in this area...

Replies

• My lo started nursery at about 3-4 months and was one of the youngest there, I think it is because people tend to take more leave now.
    The nursery told me that 3-4 months is the best time to start as at about 6 months they tend to go through a clingy stage which can make leaving them quite traumatic.
    Maddie settled very quickly and absolutely loves it and because of her early start she is happy to go to anyone without getting upset and only gets clingy if feeling ill.
    Good luck, I'm sure she will have a great time!
  • Thanks. I agree with what you are saying about getting them into the nursery habit before they get to the clingy stage, and I think we would have started her at nursery now even if I wasn't going back to work soon.
  • Hi I am lucky that my MIL is going to look after Kara when I go back to work in July. I do agree though about the clingy stage and it would be best to start them young at nursery. Kara is 6 months now and is so clingy with me now its a nightmare. She won't stay with anyone and at the minute she wont let anyone but me and my husband hold her. Its hard and I just hope she grows out of it soon or I won't be returning to work on time lol.
  • Poppy will be just under 7 months when she starts at her childminders in 2 weeks. So far, she hasn't gone through that clingy stage yet, I hope it doesn't start before then cos it will be even harder to leave her then.
    xx
  • Maddie only goes 1 morning and 1 afternoon a week but i find it is really good for her and her development, I also got my first hand made card for easter, they put the glue on and she stuck all the extra bits on the chick, it wa so cute, she is quite an artist for 7 months.
  • Hi, I took 10 months off work and Imogen goes to nursery 1 day a week while i'm at work, my MIL looks after her the other day and a half. I must admit she's taken a bit settling in and still cries when we drop her off and pick her up but when shes there apparently shes fine. I think its good to start them young and i'm sure she'll have a great time. Hope it goes well for you both. xxx
  • I put Jack into nursery when he was 11 months, he has settled in now and loves it. he goes two full days a week as i work part time and oh takes one day off a week to look after him.
  • Summer is 8 1/2 months and started nursery full time about 2 weeks ago. She loves it.