Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I could cry

Hello all. I've been back to work now for over a month and i love it. Summer is in nursery full time although she hasn't been going as she has been ill and they wouldn't take her for two weeks.

Last Monday she came down with a cold, after getting over this sickness bug that was going around, so i took Monday off to stay at home with her. She then went to nursery Tues to Friday all ok. This Monday i took her to nursery and she was a bit upset but not too bad but yesterday and today she has cried when i leave her. I hate it and really don't want her to keep doing this. I'm hoping that it's because she's unwell and just wants mummy. My oh was no help as i rang him saying she cried again and all i got was "she's got to get use to it". It's ok for him he doesn't have to see her so upset it's heartbreaking. Anyone experinece this?

Replies

• Hi Hun

I had the same experience when I first left my daughter at nursery and anything like teething, injections, illness always set her back to crying her little eyeballs out when I was leaving. It breaks your heart doesn't it and it used to make me cry I felt so bad.

I had a chat with the nursery nurses and they were really good they reassured me that as soon as I left they were able to distract her and she was absolutely fine. At the time I thought they were just saying it to make me feel better. They suggested I waited a little while after leaving the room and popping my head through the window after 5 minutes so I could see for myself and you know what they were right! They are trained and experts in getting our children to become more independant and when the children are young the art of distraction usually works best! Have a chat with your childminder and tell her your concerns. They will be able to put your mind at rest. I know there is nothing worse than going to work feeling guilty and worrying that little one isn't happy. ;\)

Hope this helps.

XX
  • I've just phoned them and she is fine i really do think it's because she's 100%. She is usually such a happy little thing but i think this cold/cough bug is getting to her.

Thanks for your reply.