Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work

rights to return to work

Hello.

I am just writing to see if anyone else has had this problem and how they resolved it.

I work for a big company, i am due to have my first child on 25th July 2008.

I have discussed with them what i would like to do when i return to work in Feb 2009 (which is full time working the hours i work now which is Monday to Friday 9am - 5.30pm) They are trying to stop me from coming back on these hours. They would like me to come back on Monday to Friday 1pm - 7pm so they can employ someone else to work Monday to Friday 8am - 1pm. Dont get me wrong that would be lovely but i just cant afford to do it.

I have read they have to have my job open to me when i return.

Can anyone help me cus its getting me down and making me very upset. :cry:

Thankyou

Annalisa xxx

P.s If its not clear what i mean just mail me

29 weeks tomorrow

Replies

• Hi - its all very confusing but as far as I am aware they have to keep your same job open to you unless they can prove that it is unreasonable for them to do so but as they are a large company and could employ someone specifically to cover your maternity leave I am not sure why they can not do that. It seems like they want to change the hours of your job and have someone working extra hours. Did they justify why they wanted to do this? could you ask if you could work 8 - 4.30 and then someone else work 4.30 - 7pm. (or vice versa) you would get the same ammount of hours, they would get the same ammount of cover they are looking for. someone else might appreciate a job they can start later in the evening just for a few hours a day ( i start my shifts at 3 or 4 as this is after my husband gets home from work so we don't have to worry about childcare)
    alternatively you could agree to work those hours but only if you get paid the same!! tell them you are so efficient you'd be able to produce the same ammount of work in the time given!! ha ha - worth a try!
    if you google maternity rights there is quite a bit online - the government websites are fairly good.
    also have you looked into costs of childcare and what tax credits you might get if you don't go back to work full time - it might help you weigh up whether you could afford to take their offer?
    good luck - i hope they treat you fairly - its the last thing you need when you are pregnant!!
  • actually should of said i'm having a problem at work and i phoned the acas helpline yesterday - its a free advice service and they were really good
  • Hi, from what I understand from reading all the Gov stuff due to problems I've had at work they have to keep your job open to you for a specified amount of time (I think this is 6 months but check on the Gov site) if you go back in this time they have to offer you your old job to you. If you have been off longer than the specified time then they can cover it but must offer you a similar job & can't cut your pay...so if they cut you hours your pay must match your full time pay (I think).
    You are best off talking to ACAS or CAB & looking on the Gov's website...DO NOT believe what your company are telling you is the law! My own team leader was telling me I was wrong (thick idiot he is & always has been!) when I knew I was right!
    MY company tried to drop my pay to that of a new starter after my boss had agreed my wages pre promotion (as I was going back to the old job)...I started a written grievance & won, I believe I could take them regarding my demotion too but have decided not to & have become preggars again & gonna take full ML, retrain & get a new job...I'm also looking at helping my hubby get out of there (we met at work - ahhh!) & get a better job!
    Good luck
    xxx