Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone use chilminder rather than nursery ?

2»

Replies

• Options
    I'll have to get her details off you so I can get in touch with her when we finally become pregnant & start to get things organised.
  • Options
    Hiya, I am a registed Childminder in Harlow with vacancies.
    ??3.50ph. open 7am-6pm

Would consider working weekends and helping out parents who work shifts.

Nicola
    Nic3of9@hotmail.com
  • Options
    I do not personally recommend childminders. No disrespect for the good ones out there but I've never had a good exerience with any of them who used to take care of my son.

For one, you can't see what they are doing because there arn't anyother staff around and OMG, so gready for money with doing such little work! Last childminder used to secreatly put nappies on my boy when he was otty training. She would lie about bruises he got and the one before her was caught leaving my baby alone in her flat while she went shoping. Just imagine, these childminders had positive ofstead reports. Was paying ??275 a week and she never taught him anything.

This is in se london so don't know what it's like elswhere.
  • Options
    Hi ladies!

i'm a qualified nursey nurse, so hope my opinion helps,

firstly Nzante Family, i hope you reported those two childminders - they should not be allowed in childcare, i'm so sorry you had a bad experience,

i live up in central scotland and all our childminders are throughly spot checked and have their homes inspected, they are also trying to make sure everyone caring for children gain basic childcare qualifications,

having worked in a variety of nurserys,

private nurseries - believe these are best suited to children for 2+ purely for the social side of things, and only for a few days a week, 5 days a week 8am - 6pm is not good for any child especially under 2s,

school nurseries - much better facilties/rsources, cant fault them,

childminder - best option for young children, family members where possible are even better.

my advice is dont be shy about quizzing childminders on their average day to day rountines with the children, their work history, any courses they have attended in regards to child development, ask to see any toys,equipment they will use will children are there
    and most importantly their offical paperwork, all childminders should have offical registration docs from ofsted and/or care comisssion.

please do not feel you are being awkward asking these questions - any good childminder or even the nursery will be happy to answer your questions and put your mind at ease as they should know you just need reassurance your child is getting the best care

marie x