Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Part Time / Full Time, What do you do??

hi there ladies,
at the moment i am a full time mummy to a 2 1/2 year old and 8 week old. my partner and i orginally decided i would always be a stay at home mum but as he is self employed and doesnt have a defintie income each week it would be easier on him if i went to work, i dont want to go until both are in secondary school and then will only work part time hopeing to get a job from 9.30 - 2.30 everyday so i can still pick up and drop off as there is no one else to do this. and wouldnt want to pay for child care as al the money i earn would go on that. j
just wondering who works part time or full time and what jobs you have???
xx x

Replies

• Hi, i dont think i will be of much help to you but you may be a little help to me! i will be returning to work soon as a part time nursery nurse so my baby will be coming to work with me so childcare is not really a problem for me. I came across a website yesterday that may help you, i think its called workingmums.com or something like that, it came up on google so im not quite sure. My partner also works self employed and so has a variable income, if you dont mind me asking, how did you cope finantially when you didnt go back to work after your first child? x
  • hi there,
    your arrangment sounds really good its brilliant that you will be working but still be with your child. how easy is it to get into working in nurserys??do you have to have qualifications before you apply? and if you dont mind, is it good pay?? i have been thinking about childminding as you dont have to have any qualifications,buti know there are alot of them in my area.
    we coped pretty well with just one income my partner is a roof tiler so his job relies heavily on the weather! we make sure there is enough emergency money stashed away for if he has a really bad week then we can still cover all of the outgoings. i know he wants me to work so that i can take some of the stress off of him but i dont want to do anything that will not enable me to pick them up and drop them off x
  • Thats why my partner wants me to go back to work too, do you get tax credits for your children? Or any other personal income for you and the children as you are unemployed? i'm considering staying home a while longer, my income is under 50thou. a year an i was told now i have a baby i may get it, but i'm not sure what i'll be entitled to. i started with no qualifications and my employer put me on a course to get qualified, i considered childminding but i enjoy the adult company of the nursery. The pay however is not good, as an unqualified it was minimum wage, then between 12-13 thou. a year for full time once qualified to level 2 depending on age. different nurseries vary around these figures depending on location though, some dont pay trainees well at all, some, particularly closer to london, pay more. Depending on employer, if you do work in a nursery you may also get a discount for your child to attend, thats up to them though, i'm still waiting to find out if i will. It is quite easy to get a job in a nursery, they're always advertising for staff in my local area and to qualify as a nursery nurse is easy, as a mum you'd find the course is based a lot on common sense! x
  • hi mummy-to-2- i work between 20 - 40 hours a week so normally part-time but more in the summer when we're busy. i'm still on maternity leave for my second now. i work in a resataurant so i can work evenings and weekends when my husband is home. i did work a little in a playgroup too - but like newmummylovesharry i was paid minimum wage as i wasn't qualified but was allowed to work toward my qualification on the job.
    i found it wasn't worth it financially and continued paying for childcare but got more hours at the restaurant instead.(where i was paid more)
    if you do consider childcare to drop your children to school or pick them up for an hour or 2 then you may qualify for help to this. (thru your tax credits)
    will you have to arrange childcare thru the school holidays?
    also although there are a lot of childminders in your area this kind of childcare is often highly in demand so you may well get good business! However while your children are still young you will be limited to how many children you can take on. my childminder charges ??3 an hour so you would probably need at least 2 children to make it worthwhile. i think you get tax breaks and grants to set up tho. you can make quite a lot of money if you have quite a few kids tho!!
  • Hi all

I work full time but do 3 days in the office and 2 days from home.
    The 3 days I'm office based my LO goes to nursery and absolutely loves it, it's quite pricey ??48 per day but they provide the nappies/cream/milk/3 meals per day all of which are freshly prepared on the premises and they have a good staff ratio. They hand you a sheet everyday that tells you the times LO has slept/fed/how much milk/food he has as well as times/details of nappy changes and his activities that day.

The 2 days that I work from home are a challenge but I work in event management dealing with mostly internationals so most of my correspondance is done via email and it doesn't matter what time of day I do it as long as I do 8 hours each day.
    I generally manage to work around my LO's naps and also he's happy to entertain himself for a while so manage to do 4 hours before lunch and then 3 hours in the afternoon and 1 hour in the evening
  • hiya ladies,
    thank you all for your replies i doubt i could do what you do vicki h as probably couldnt afford that childcare for both. i am considering doing what you do julesy working either part time in a supermarket or resturant as it would fit around my partners work. how do you find working in the evenings after being with your little one all day? xx
  • working in the evening is fine - i go about 3 or 4 and finish at 11 or so. Its the getting up in the mornings thats the problem!and having to be all lively and energetic with a lo! Especially as he considers 7am a lie in.

I'm due to go back in august and I am worried that with 2 it will be worse - especially as noah still doesn't sleep well at night. zach was 7-7 by 4 months and noah at 5 months has a dream feed at 10.30 and still sometimes wakes up at 3 for a feed - little monkey.

It is hard in the summer when i worked a lot of evenings and they were later because we were busy.
    I was looking forward to last summer - getting out and about to the beach etc but was quite often too knackered and would just loaf around the garden instead. so although i was at home with zach i didn't feel he was getting the full on mummy attention he deserved. he was quite happy most of the time but since noah was born he demands attention quite a lot of the time - and there will be 2 of them needing looking after! it depends how many evenings you do and how late your shifts are. also if you can get some shifts on the weekend then at least you can either work a day shift or have a lie-in if your oh is home!
    it is difficult not spending much time with your partner. we both had a lot of time with our son but no time together and no time as a family. when i went on maternity zach was so used to getting one-on-one full undivided attention from whichever one of us was at home that he would get jealous of me and my husband talking to each other!!
    he also has a really close bond with his dad as they had the teatime, bathtime, bedtime routine together from a young age.
    best of luck