Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

BLOODY TAX CREDITS!!!!

Hi!

Just gone back to work 3weeks ago to a new job, I rang the tax credits people to tell them I was earning less. They said that they would calculate it and send it out to me. I just got the letter and I'm soooooo annoyed. I have literally halved my earnings from my last job and they have put my child tax credit up by ??3 a week!!!!!!!!!!!!! How is that supposed to help! Also apparently I'm not entitled to working tax credit either.

BOOOOOOO!!

Does this sound right to you??

xx

Replies

• I am due to go back to work soon and have been trying to get info on my tax credits. From what i've found out so far i'll be in the same boat as you. I used the tax credits calculator on their website and entered various different hrs/earnings e.t.c to find out if i should work full time or part time. As far as i can tell i will get next to nothing extra for child tax credit either way and do not qualify for working TC either! Also i keep hearing people talk about TC's paying up to 80% of child care costs??? Who are these people?? My oh & i have very average jobs and will get ??0 towards childcare if i work full time & aprox ??10 PW which is less that 10% if i work PT and no use whatsoever!!!
    It's a nightmare!
  • You have to be working over 16 hours a week to get working tax credits and earning under ??50,000

I get it and I'm working 42 hours a week!

Mine is lower at the mo than next april as they work it from the date of the change. They also calulate from last years total income too!

Hope this helps a bit?

Love MH x
  • Hi ya,

my oh works 40hrs a week and I work 30hrs a week and we get CTC but not WTC. we get 90% of Joshua's nursery fees paid (he goes to nursery 3 days a week). our CTC was based on last yrs earnings which for me was very little as i spent most of the yr on mat leave and for my oh was ??25,000, im expecting it to be reduced next yr cos i wourld have earnt ??12,000 this yr. to be honest im not sure how it works but im really pleaed with the money we get cos its well worth me working. i would spk to someone to make sure that they have the correct details and ask them why you dont qualify etc xxx
  • May i ask how you get 90% of nursery fees paid? Do you mean through wtc? or childcare vouchers? Im trying to workout how it works and weather im better off sticking to night shifts (which is awful!)