Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I need some advice in my life

I had a baby two years ago, and decided to go to school to become a nurse. I recently have been accepted into a nursing program and I am looking at three more years of school. In the last two years I have strived to raise a well adjusted child with the help of his father, but the problem is that his father does not seem to want to put our baby first like I do. I am struggling to keep a relationship with him, and I feel like I am falling out of love. I work , go to school and spend my days with our son. He works and has alot of extra time that I feel he takes for granted. I am frustrated too because it seems like he is always thinking about ways to spend money, when I want to save for our future. For example he has been obsessing over a lift for his truck and that will cost $600.00. He tells me that he is sorry that his hobbies are more expensive than mine, but I can't help but think when do I even have time for hobbies. I know I am coming off bitter towards him, but it is the frustration coming out.
This put me over the edge when he said that we needed a dog. I told him no because I know that the responsibility would fall on my shoulders because he has showed me in the past that he doesn't want to put forth the effort to take care of a dog. He says I treat him like he is two, and maybe I do because I feel like I have to be the adult in our relationship. I am 22 years old and and he is 24. We have been together five years. I feel alot older than 22, and a big part of this is because I am a parent, but I shouldn't feel like I have two kids.
So, do you think I am being too hard on him? I talk to my mom, and she tells me that he shouldn't treat me like this and should pull his head out, but I also have to keep in mind that mothers do take there kids side. Am I better off without him? I am trying to do some soul searching:\?

I welcome any advice

Replies

• Oh dear hun, sounds like you're having a tough time.

I have a 23 month old, I work full time Monday - Friday and am also studying so I have to study a couple of nights a week and at the wkends to as well as fit in chores and actually spending time with lo and OH. My OH is a chef and works 6 days a week so a lot of the time I'm alone with lo we rarely get time togethr as a family. On the whole my OH is quite good most of the time, but sometimes he spends the evening on the playstation or something rather than doing chores while I'm studying so I then have to do it once I finished studying for the evening.

have you tried talking to him and letting him no how u feel? Mayb he just doesn't realise, men sometimes need things spelling out to them before they'll actually do something. Give him time to change afterwards if you chose to speak to him and if he doesn't change mayb you need to consider whats best for you and your lo.

I hope u get things sorted x