Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Naps at Nursery

At the moment I'm looking for a new job and if I get one my lo might be spending a day or 2 at nursery. I'm a bit worried about how they deal with nap times at nursery.
When he's at home my lo puts up quite a fight when we put him down for a nap and he doesn't give in easily. lol
If he's at nursery will they just leave him to cry or will they go in to him? How much time do they have to spend with each baby if there's problems? Do they have their own room or is it just a load of cots lined up against a wall? Do they change the sheets for each baby?
I guess I'm just worried that they don't know him and his routine like we do.
Are you allowed trial days where you can stay with your lo?
I know I should just contact local nurseries but I just wanted to hear others experiences.
Vic xx

Replies

• Options
    Hi. My LO isn't at nursery yet, but I have viewed a few as the waiting lists are long for the good ones. All are different. Some nurseries have set nap times where all babies nap together. Others let the LO's nap when they want. At my neices nursery they slept where they fell asleep (usually on the floor). Some nurserys have cots for babies to sleep in, but not all.

I would go a view them and you will get a feeling that it is right when you find the right one for you x Im not due back to work until July but I already have my LO on a waiting list as the nursery I want him to go to has a brilliant reputation so its hard to get in to. x
  • Options
    I would ask all these questions to any nursery you view.
    The one Maddie goes to has set nap times but will abide by whatever times you tell them if there time don't suit, they will also put lo down if she looks tired, if you ask them to let her cry until she settles they will but otherwise they will sit with her if she needs it, one day one of the girls sat on the floor in the sleep room rocking her till she settled.
    She has a basket with her name on that has her sheet and blanket in and a cot is made up using these so it is only her that has them and they are washed every week (even though she only goes 2 half days).
    The cots are all in together in a dark room with a little music playing and the lo's are checked at regular intervals and all noted and signed on a chart.

The nursery is very good all nappies, milk and food is provided (fresh food prepared in there kitchen), each age group has there own room, kitchen and changing area and baby room has sleep room.
    At the end of each session i am given a diary that notes what Maddie has had to eat or drink, when she slept and how long for, when nappies were changed and if wet or soiled and a little note telling me what she has enjoyed doing that day.

They are also very flexible and i can book extra sessions if needed.

Hope this helps you find a good nursery.
  • Options
    I went to veiw two nurseries yesterday and both of them had cots in the same rrom as where the other babies played but others (i have heard) have separte rooms for the babies to sleep in. im just concerned about the napping as my LO too puts up a fight and she wont go to sleep if there is a lot going on, she needs to be in a cot in a quiet dark room with a dummy before she even thinks of going to sleep!!!
    The best thing to do is phone up some that u are interested in and visit to have a look around, they are all so different. I have dovoted this week to looking around them and so far one that i went to yesterday really impressed me plus they were so helpful and aswered all my questions fully. Im due to go back in March and there r so many things im worrying about but i know i have to just chill out and i can call them whenver i like to check on her.

Hannah xx
  • Options
    Hi ya,

joshua has been at nursery for 3 weeks now 2 days a week. what our nursery does is get you till fill out a form which info about when they sleep, eat, how you look after your lo when they cry or get upset etc. e.g joshua has 3 naps a day at home he has them at 10am, 1pm and 4 pm. at nursery these vary slighty eg his 1st nap is usually at 11am after his snack, 2nd at 130pm and his last one can be anywhere from 4-5pm...yesterday he didint sleep till 5pm and they had to wake him up when his dad arrived to pick him up lol i have found that even though his naps may very a bit at nursey it doesnt disrupt him when he's at home with me or his night time sleeping.

My nursery also has a sleep room with 12 cots (thats the number of babies they have in the baby room) they also have a timer that they set for every 10mins so 1 of the nursery nurses always checks on the sleeping babies. every baby has his or her own cot for that day.

They always try to stick as closely to our routine at home but obviously its not always possible. Joshua loves nursey xxx